Home Forum Ask A Member A Tale of 2 TN26s Color Schemes

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    bayham3261
    Participant

Hey everyone! I have 2 TN26s according to Peter Hunn’s book they are both 1950. 1 is a Canadian (ser.94692) made and the other motor is an American (ser. 867337) one . The color on the Canadian one is a darker later model green with graphics to match whereas the American made one has the lighter earlier Johnson green with the matching graphics. I assume that the differences were a matter of different factories and the transition between years. I was wondering if the factories treated 1950 TN25 / TN26 paint schemes different. Maybe the difference in time zones between the factories had an unusually large effect on the workers choice of paint in this particular year?? Situated in the Eastern time zone, the Canadian factory was an hour ahead… lol!
      Was this common place in other years? I’m a geek for this peculiar things.

Canadian Johnson TN26

Can. Serial#

USA Serial#

A little information is a dangerous thing!

• This topic was modified 5 years ago by Mumbles.
      Mumbles
      Participant

Winters up here are longer and colder than down South so I’m betting the darker one was kept indoors for most of the year, out of the sun while its American cousin was at the beach more often. After basking in the hot sun for 69 years, it just might be faded a little bit. That Sea Mist Green was used from 1946-51 while the Seahorse Green was used from 1952-55.

EDIT: I just noticed that those are the wrong decals for a 1950 TN-26 so it’s probably been painted sometime in the past and later decals applied, possibly 1953.

Click on the link here to see what they should look like.

http://nymarine.ca/50JO5WEBPIC.gif

TN-26

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Mumbles.
        wbeaton
        Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Canadian Johnson’s followed the same colour/decal scheme as the American motors.

Wayne
          Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

aquasonic
          Participant

US Member

Here’s another theory. The model and serial numbers are stamped on the power head, not on the clamps or mid-section. The darker Sea Horse Green motor may have had its power head replaced with an earlier TN-26 powerhead?

bayham3261
            Participant

Interesting ideas…
              I have a couple of older sea mist QD10 and HD25 and the original paint (interior side of covers) is much lighter like the restored one that Mumbles posted. I wonder if it is as suggested by aquasonic that an older powerhead on a newer model… possibly a dealer swap or something. I could also see that it is a tank & covers swap along with an old repaint like Mumbles suggests. The only weird thing about the swap is… I’ve always seen Johnson graphics ’52/53’s with a stylized seahorse above the Johnson name. My QD 13 and 14 have this.

Does anybody know the differences between the TN25/26 and later models? Is it the magneto changes to the OMC universal coil like the QDs? Maybe when I pull things apart I’ll see some differences.

aquasonic
              Participant

US Member

On the second picture, do I see lighter, possibly Sea Mist Green paint, showing just above the model and serial number designation? It appears that some darker Sea Horse Green may be flaking off, or is it just the lighting?

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by aquasonic.
                bayham3261
                Participant

I think you solved it Aquasonic… I had a closer look and it does look like it may have been a repaint… so it is likely a repaint with different ’53 covers and tank. Thanks everyone!!! Case Closed!

lloyd
                  Participant

US Member

When you get around to running them you will need new primer seals. Just go to Adam 1961 post for order instructions, or just call me at 231-929-7479.

bayham3261
                    Participant

When you get around to running them you will need new primer seals. Just go to Adam 1961 post for order instructions, or just call me at 231-929-7479.

Thanks Llyod, I may take you up on this.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.