Home Forum Ask A Member Accumix oil /fuel system

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    PugetSoundBoater
    Participant

I was just reading the thread auldscott started on the Johnson 35. When did the Accumix system start being used on OMC motors? When did it end?
      Seems like the Accumix system and the later? VRO caused a lot of problems in exchange for a bit of convenience. Which system came first?
      Thanks, Jim PSB

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
      Robbie Robertson

bobw
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I believe the first version of the Economixer system debuted in 1982 with the VRO system starting in 1984 or 1985. I think the VRO system unfairly got blamed for a lot of engine failures that were in fact not caused by the VRO pump. My 1998 Evinrude Ocean Pro still had the original VRO pump when I sold it last year and is still in service with the new owner.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
        1954 Johnson CD-11
        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
        1958 Johnson QD-19
        1958 Johnson FD-12
        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

bobw
        Participant

There were also 2 versions of the VRO system with the original system introduced in 1984 and VRO2 in 1986. The VRO2 system included an alarm for no oil flow and more alcohol resistant components which the original version did not have. Some engine failures did occur with the original VRO system because of those shortcomings, which probably led to the notion that VRO was generally unreliable.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Mumbles
          Participant

I believe there was also a 100/1 version of the Accumix. You don’t want that one.

outbdnut2
            Participant

Dad’s 1987 35 Evinrude which he bought new in the box in 1989 had the 100 to 1 mixing 6 gallon tank. It worked fine the first summer, but early the next season it left me stranded on the lake when the low oil thing shut off the gas and the oil compartment in that tank that was nearly full of oil. I don’t know if that was a 1987, 88 or 89 tank,but after hearing this was a common failure, I removed the mixing stuff from the tank and drilled a bunch of 1/4 inch holes in the oil canister so it filled with the gas/oil we mixed manually.
              Dave

garry-in-michigan
              Participant

Lifetime Member

Evinrude (OMC) engineers experimented with a separate oiling system to go with the fuel injection they were working on in 1959. The fuel injection was a disaster, but the fuel injection system was used on the 80 HP two cycle V4 used in there Sweet Sixteen gull wing fiberglass boat. . . 😎

PugetSoundBoater
                Participant
                  quote Mumbles:

I believe there was also a 100/1 version of the Accumix. You don’t want that one.

I don’t want either of these oil mixing systems. Just wondering what years of motors had them as a possible Red Flag for "better check the compression"
                  I have no problem mixing oil with the gas. I can mix them in Metric or Oz/Us Gal.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                  Robbie Robertson

outbdnut2
                  Participant

quote PugetSoundBoater:

quote Mumbles:

I don’t want either of these oil mixing systems. Just wondering what years of motors had them as a possible Red Flag for “better check the compression”
                    I have no problem mixing oil with the gas. I can mix them in Metric or Oz/Us Gal.

The OMC oil mixing systems I’ve seen mixed the oil and gas before it ever got to the motor, so unless there are some I don’t know about that mixed inside the shroud ( if these exist I’d also like to know what they were), you just need a non-mixing gas tank. I’ve seen some Mercurys and Yamahas where the oil is dumped directly into a tank inside the motor.
                    Dave

bob-d
                    Participant

Garry, I loved those Sweet Sixteens.
                      If I remember correctly they made a dark grey hull with a red interior????? that looked great.
                      Bob D

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Yes, do not use any version of the accumix tank, for sure…This system was prone to failure, and put a real load/high vacuum situation on the fuel pumps…This is one of the big reasons that OMC went to the big fuel pump on the 9.9/15s, to accommodate the accumix tanks.
                        Well said bobw, the VRO was the easy target to blame engine failures on, only followed by the "mysterious" powerpack. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to promote the VRO to CD reliability status, just saying it was unfairly blamed for engine failures/problems that it oftentimes had nothing to do with. The introduction of the VRO2, with the oil flow alarm was definitely a plus. But, even the VRO flow sensor could not differentiate between oil and/or water flow through the pump.
                        I have always felt it is much easier/cleaner to premix the fuel/oil in the fuel tank. I have seen so many stinky bilges due to that tank and spilled oil. The oil tank could be prone to water intrusion also, depending on its location in the bilge. But, it is only fair to admit that OMC was not marketing outboard "to me", the boating public wanted oil injection, and OMC "had to keep up" with Yamaha and Merc.
                        Like you say, in spite of the VRO’s obvious short comings, its beauty is its simplicity. And, it is easy to disconnect if your prefer. The VRO makes a great fuel pump, I am so frustrated when I see folks spend the extra money to actually remove the VRO pump and install a conventional fuel pump. This is totally unnecessary. Needless to say, if the fuel pump side of the VRO fails, it is much more economical to replace it with a conventional fuel pump. The VROs can be rebuilt though, just like a conventional fuel pump. The only problem with disabling any oil injection system is that you open yourself (or the boat owner) up to obvious mistakes at the fuel dock.. People/fuelers see your relatively new outboard and "assssssume" it is oil injected. The fuel tank is filled, no oil is added, and the engine runs for about 30 seconds at high speed before seizing up. Always follow the simple rule: never loan your outboard rig to anyone, especially relatives or your kids! Buy your kids a cheap rig to destroy…
                        OK, off the soap box, but please don’t use the accumix tank….And, peel the 100:1 stickers off any OMC outboards if and when you see them…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.