Adhesive for 1963 Evinrude Fastwin Cowl Gasket

Home Forum Ask A Member Adhesive for 1963 Evinrude Fastwin Cowl Gasket

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)

• h20lew

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 52
    Topics: 17

Looking for advice on an adhesive that will work for keeping the cowl gasket in place on my 1963 Fastwin. I have a ’63 Sportwin with the same issue. I tried 3M Weatherstrip Adhesive but that didn’t last long. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks!

Attachments:

dave-bernard

Replies: 2016
    Topics: 30

3M trim adhesive

paulfromyork

Replies: 42
    Topics: 26

I’m not sure if you could work it out, but Gorilla Mounting Tape is amazing stuff. It’s maybe 3/32 inch thick. There is a warning on the package that trying to remove it may cause damage/not come off clean. It hasn’t let go of anything I’ve tried it on so far. I used it to mount half-circle fish eye mirrors on my pick up mirrors, with a home made pine wood adapter fit to the curve of said mirrors. (2 years so far) I had used contact cement before with limited success.
    You could maybe put it along the inside edge of the cowling, peel off the backing, and work the gasket on to the cowling/tape combination. It’s not as unforgiving as contact cement. (instant grip no—second chance), but once you place it and press it, and it cures a little, it wants to stay. Maybe?

h20lew

This is the stuff that did not last… it held OK for a couple weeks, but then lost its grip.

Attachments:

rco

Replies: 41
    Topics: 8

The black 3M weatherstrip adhesive does not work nearly as well as the original yellow (part number 08001) on rubber trim. You do need to put it on both the trim and the cowl and let it tack dry before assembling.

amuller

Replies: 1055
    Topics: 163

I suspect the yellow stuff will work if you do as stated above. It is hard to use neatly because it has to tack up. There is some stuff sold by Mercury for securing boots on stern drives that might be stronger.

Steve D

Replies: 697
    Topics: 57

I’ve used 3M847 and Loctite Automotive Adhesive with good results. The Loctite Automotive Adhesive I think they repackaged as Stik’N Seal Outdoor Adhesive, because I can’t find the automotive version anymore. I think SealAll might work too.

Try to remove as much old sealant from the lip of the pan and clean with carb cleaner on a rag. I clean the groove of the gasket with a rag over the tip of a screwdriver because it’s sometimes oily in that groove and that would prevent the adhesive from grabbing.

After I put the gasket on I press it down a little and then every few inches secure it with some strips of masking tape to hold the gasket down and let it cure like that thoroughly. And then just remove the masking tape when cured.

Attachments:

h20lew

All good suggestions. I went to the 3M website and could’t tell from the specs they gave if 3M 08008 (black) is any different than 3M 08001 (yellow) – the descriptions are similar, but not identical…. I emailed 3M to get an official response if the difference is just color or if there is more to it. It seemed the original adhesive was yellow in color. I like the idea of the Locktite Stick ‘n Seal product (since it’s clear) and also the gorilla tape at the corners where there is the most tension….(but don’t want something that will rip off the paint if it is removed)… Will wait to hear back from 3M before deciding. Usually 3M stuff just works.. Open to hear other feedback, suggestions, and experiences with any of these products in the meantime. Thanks again everyone!

dave-bernard

Replies: 2016
    Topics: 30

Yellow was the original color and the only one I used. mostly on cars.

vtfireman85

Replies: 25
    Topics: 4

I just barely replaced mine with 3/16 rubber fuel line that I slit lengthwise, it worked perfectly and looks pretty good too. Mine was whooped and beyond usage. It’s cheap enough to do annually. No adhesive required and it quiets the hood rattling.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.