Home Forum Ask A Member After market impeller recommendations

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jimbrizzolara
    Participant

I’m restoring a 1955 Evinrude Lightwin 3hp. I see all sorts of impellers offered on-line for less than a BRP impeller. Does anyone have some experience along these lines? I had problems with a Sierra impeller; I don’t want to waste time by saving a few bucks.

jcrigan
      Participant

I have recently bought a few of those Chinese impellers. They seem a little too soft. I installed one in a Johnson 3hp motor. A month later that impeller had already taken up a set. If you are planning on using your motor on a regular basis, i would recommend using a factory part.

billw
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I got one for a 2.2 Merc. I have not tried it yet; but I thought the same thing: It feels too soft. I bought it mostly just to test whether the rest of the engine is any good. If the engine runs solid, I will put an OEM impeller in it.

Long live American manufacturing!

lindy46
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Spend the extra money and get a BRP/OMC impeller.

outbdnut2
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have replaced several of those 3 HP impellers with Sierra 18-3001 with good results on all of them. The only sierra impellers I tried that don’t work good are those for 1974 -1990’s 9.9 and 15 HP Johnson/Evinrudes that use 18-3050 – they don’t pump at really slow back-trolling speeds, even with the new Sierra cup. If I have time to wait, I do order OMC impellers, but usually my Napa auto parts store can have the Sierra ones (same part and number, branded NAPA) for me in a day.
              Dave

David Bartlett
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Another vote for the BRP impellers!

David Bartlett
                Pine Tree Boating Club Chapter

"I don't fully understand everything I know!"

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.