Air Cooled Outboard Overheating

Home Forum Ask A Member Air Cooled Outboard Overheating

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 51 total)

• PugetSoundBoater

Replies: 900
    Topics: 105

check the timing for being too far advanced ,or gas mixture too lean. Comparing your motor to the brochure, looks like your cowlings are complete

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
    Robbie Robertson

collectorinspector

Replies: 145
    Topics: 21

The cowl is far too short around the engine and it is painted white. The paint is probably a thick coat of shiny enamel as well?

Not a good thing going back to basics aye.

BnC

thumper

Replies: 208
    Topics: 25

My guess is the lack of a shroud to direct the air is the culprit

retiredoz

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 565
    Topics: 27

I had a similar experience on an old air-cooled Elgin. Pulled the powerhead and cleaned the carbon from the exhaust port, that seemed to cure it.
    I suspect it had been running not-too-well for a long time.

SCOTT MEYER

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 16
    Topics: 5

Are the flywheel fan blades all there? Is there a rope sheave under the crank recoil mechanism? If so try roping it over and running without the crank recoil mechanism attached. I’m just wondering if that isn’t blocking the air flow down from the top.

eviltwin

Replies: 98

That is one interesting motor, I like the knuckle buster crank. Are the jet drives good, as in durable?

wbeaton

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1037
    Topics: 101

Thanks for all the ideas. I’ll post back with the answer once I tear into it this winter.

EvilTwin, I couldn’t tell you how durable the jet drive is as I only have about 100 yards of boating logged on with this motor. It doesn’t have much thrust. I’d say it pushes like a 1.5-2 hp (at best) even though it has a 4 hp powerhead (which also seems optimistic). I love this motor because its interesting. You turn the hand crank a few times, then hit the release lever and it cranks the motor automatically. The jet drive is terribly inefficient, but it looks neat. I think it would be better suited for duty as an egg beater than an outboard.

Wayne
    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

outbdnut2

Replies: 1705
    Topics: 91
    quote wbeaton:

You turn the hand crank a few times, then hit the release lever and it cranks the motor automatically..

That wind-up hand crank reminds me of lawn mower engines Briggs & Stratton made back in the 1960s or 1970s. I didn’t like them because of the winding time it took for each crank try if a motor didn’t want to start. They also came under scrutiny for safety issues because some owners would wind up the starter when they put the lawn mower away to have it ready for next use – then little kids (too young to pull a starter rope) could come and trip the lever to crank and start it.
    Dave

boxcar

Replies: 19

Your engine is defiantly missing all of it’s lower cowling. It will run hot without these tins in place.
    It is air ducted cooling to be exact. Neat little motor. You may be able to use tins from an Eska or a ted Williams motor. Both utilized the Tecumseh motor.

retiredoz

Replies: 565
    Topics: 27

It looks exactly like the 4-hp in the Aqua-Jet flier, except for the funky starter. I don’t think cowlings are your problem.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.