Air Cooled Outboard Overheating

Home Forum Ask A Member Air Cooled Outboard Overheating

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 51 total)

• eviltwin

Replies: 98
    Topics: 5

Ah, I see, I didn’t understand the starter. You preload a spring with the wind up handle then release it to crank it over. Even more interesting. I like it even better now. The safety would be a trade off, yes it could be harmful to kids if put away wound up, but you shouldn’t leave a spring with tension on it for long periods anyway. Kids will get into anything so it would need to be stored securely. And they could easily wind it themselves. On the plus side, no spinning propeller, huge safety gain, even at a loss of efficiency.

amuller

Replies: 1055
    Topics: 163

That engine may or may not have originally had cooling air baffles around the cylinder. I would look for empty holes.

In general those wind-up starters can be replaced with a conventional Tecumseh recoil starter. The drive cup and mounting holes are the same. If it was my motor I would do that, as the windup thing is very heavy, frustrating, and often considered somewhat unsafe. Some are able to wind themselves back up automatically, but I think those are rare.

wbeaton

Canada Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1037
    Topics: 101

The motor is complete when compared to the sales advertisements. There are no holes anywhere for additional shrouding. Its possible the cooling fins on the flywheel aren’t providing enough air flow. The recoil works perfectly and the motor starts easily. The recoil and jet drive are the only reason to have this motor IMO. I’ll be keeping it as is. I would like to find a good photo or illustration of the tank decal so I could reproduce it. Mine is painted over.

Wayne
    Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

The Boat House

Replies: 4550
    Topics: 111

Here are some pictures (I only have pictures)
    of what looks to be the same power head as
    yours branded as a Schnake Mid-Jet. It is also
    a jet drive motor but a different configuration
    than yours. As mentioned by others your motor
    doesn’t seem to have some of the shroud used to
    direct the air around the cylinder for cooling that
    this motor has. It would seem though that if your
    motor ever had these there should be holes.

eviltwin

Replies: 98
    Topics: 5

just a thought, maybe you could get a touchless infra red temperature probe, Harbor Freight for example has them. With that you could narrow down where the heat is building up. They arent too expensive.

garry-in-michigan

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 3583
    Topics: 31

Hard to tell from the ad what the actual decal would look like – if you wanted to fake it. . . 😆

billw

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 2071
    Topics: 66

The Mid Jet looks almost identical except for the recoil and the extra blower housing skirts. Same power head, same blower housing, same heat….except for those skirts. I wonder when those skirts came to be, like what year in the Tecumseh time line? They are definitely an add on, either factory-add on or home made. Maybe, just maybe, the Cal Jet had a wide-spread problem and yours was not the only one? I would love to see whether those Mid-Jet skirts are just straight down or whether they have a stamped, more flow-inducing shape underneath.

I think the wind up starter is cool. We had a lawn mower with one, when I was a kid. Works great as long as you only have to do it once or twice to start….When the motor is being contrary, those starters are then a nightmare.

Long live American manufacturing!

The Boat House

Replies: 4550
    Topics: 111

This is the best I have. Sorry.

vintin

Replies: 580
    Topics: 19

Here is one on Ebay with the extra cowling.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Schnack … SwOyJX6aCn

johng

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 102
    Topics: 11

Check Drive shaft & Drive components in lower unit. That looks like early 60’s or early 70’s motor. If it hasn’t been apart for along time it surely needs Greased or lubrication on Bushings and or Bearings causing drag or binding which causes Heat. Those were not Hi-Tech Motors they were cheaply made. My thoughts. Good luck.

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 51 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.