Air plug for gas tank

Home Forum Ask A Member Air plug for gas tank

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)

• Randy in Tampa

Replies: 619
    Topics: 114

I know that some of the members put a plug in a gas tank in order to fill it up with air to get the dents out ,do they have one that has a valve stem on it like a tire if so where do I get one and what is it called? 😐

wedgie

Replies: 1043
    Topics: 78

On the 50’s and early 60’s OMC tanks I have found my el cheapo blow gun screws right on to the tank valve. I then use teflon tape to seal the filler cap threads. Be careful as it is easy to inflate the tanks like a balloon. go slow and possibly use some backing on the areas that you don’t want to blow out.

jerry-ahrens

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 986
    Topics: 40

Agreed, be careful! I tried air on a PO15 tank years ago to remove dents. All the dents came out, but the top of the tank bulged way out. Looked like it was a pregnant elephant. 😛

johnny-infl

Replies: 211
    Topics: 20

personally, I would not recommend compressed air, even tho it has been the norm since the beginning of time.
    I lean more towards filling with water and using a hand pump to control the internal pressure.
    just like pressure testing a scuba tank – you do not want 80cf of air at 3,000 psi exploding all at once. (should failure occur).
    auto repair shops use this technique with testing radiators for leaks…….. with water – not compressed air.
    some bicycle pumps can reach over 100psi. a good recommendation would be the 12-volt air compressor from Harbor Freight.
    it pumps slow but steady pressure up to 100 or 150psi.

if the gas tank ruptures when filled with water, very little chance you will be hurt .
    if the tank ruptures when filled with compressed air, very good chance you could get hurt – badly.
    the tire valve can still be used to connect a hand pump to after filling with water then pressureize it accordingly.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

They are called tank valves, or tank air valves. Available everywhere
    http://www.acehardware.com/product/inde … Id=1279202

Randy in Tampa

thanks Frank 😎

dbkski

Replies: 29
    Topics: 5

Sea Kings Baby!!!

dbkski

Replies: 29
    Topics: 5

Cleaning Gram’s basement I found a stash of these. When I read this thread I thought of you guys that work on gas tanks, lower units, and
    headers. These may be useful for pressure testing. I also remember an old thread where one of these valves was soldered into a spark
    plug base and used to free up stuck powerheads. I have a bunch of each kind along with many fittings and connectors. I’ll sell them
    cheap if there is interest.

Sea Kings Baby!!!

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

If you are going to pressurize a tank, you should take the time to build a wood frame around it so it wont blow up like a football! I almost destroyed one tank by not paying attention and using too high air pressure. Now I have the regulator on the bench beside the tank which is joined to it with a short hose. One hand slowly adjusts the regulator, 4, 5, 6, 10 lbs etc. while keeping a sharp eye on the tank. This way the pressure can be held while heating and tapping around a dent or quickly released if something starts to get out of hand.

Randy in Tampa

good advice Mumbles and in-line with advice that I received from other senior members, I value and appreciate your and other members input thank you 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.