Home Forum Ask A Member Alumacraft

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    kevinrude
    Participant

I am going to check out this rig on the weekend. Based on some quick internet research, it looks like an Alumacraft Model A, 16′. True? Any idea what year it is? Is there anything in particular I should be looking for when inspecting?

Any thoughts/info on the Gator trailer appreciated too!

Thanks!

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member

I don’t know enough about Alumacrafts to recognize the different
        models. If the model isn’t on the transom data plate, it’s
        probably stamped on the transom center brace.
        My Alumacraft is a 1959 AL 14′, and it looks like
        it’s held up well over the years, so I guess they’re well built!
        Attached is an early Alumacraft spec sheet, but
        hard to read.

My Gator trailer is made from channel iron instead of pipe,
        and I’m not even sure which came first, but mine
        seems to be well built for the day.
        The model number on mine was stamped on the frame,
        on the passenger’s side, toward the front.
        Also attached is a hard to read Gator spec sheet.

Attachments:

Prepare to be boarded!

fisherman6
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

That’s a nice boat Kevin. It looks like a model K possibly according to the posted list.

I have a 14 footer from the 70s I believe judging by the logo. It’s missing the data plate, ID plate, and has no numbers on the knee brace so it’s a guess as to what it is and what year. Mine seems closest to a model FD with a short front deck and no steering deck. It does have the Aqueduct transom so it carries a high horsepower rating for what is essentially an open 14 foot tiller boat.

That one does not have the Aqueduct transom, but appears to still have it’s model ID plate. It looks like the capacity data plate is missing. I also have a 1959 Flying C runabout that I’m hoping to be able to get on the water this year.

I’m a fan of the older Alumacraft boats. I find the ride and handling to be very good and my 14 footer is the driest boat I have owned as far as being leak free. I bet you’d be very happy with this boat if you were to buy it. And what with 2 sets of padlocks, keep 4 oars and the wife on board in case the motor craps out on you. 😆
          -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

amuller
          Participant

Looks pretty good. Seat to gunwale straps look a bit munged up. Is the front seat present? I think I can see it in one pic? Is the flotation in place and in reasonable condition? Does it have the horsepower capability you need? Do you need to be able to run long-leg motors?

Internal corrosion is always a question with old trailers, but I don’t think these pipe-frame jobs have too much trouble with that, at least in fresh water use.

Trailer looks like it has 4.80 x 12" tires. These are easier to get than the 9" ones sometimes seen on old trailers. Check for obvious broken welds. If pulling home any distance pull hubs and check/lube bearings, or at the very least feel for hot hubs after a couple of miles….

fisherman6
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The seat to gunwale straps are typical Alumacraft and are designed for oars to fit behind the front one and the round portion to sit outside the middle one. I see the front bench in the top picture behind the bow cap. Excellent advice on the trailer!

Here is a picture of my 14 footer with the oar stowed under the strap.

-Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

jack-biagini
              Participant

I have a 14′ ’58 Model F and it is set up the same way as that Boat. It has the three full sized seats plus the little one in the bow. Has the double oar locks and the strap for the oar. No leaks, and it cuts through rough water like butter. They called it the "Alumafreigter" and they are right on.

Jack

fifty20ne
                Participant

US Member

Kevin,

I thought you might like this boat also.
                  https://saginaw.craigslist.org/boa/6133087672.html

Good Luck,

Bob Lafayette

westwind
                  Participant

Canada Member

My model A does not have the stiffeners on the floor that are shown in the pictures. Maybe a model F? Either way, they are great boats.

kevinrude
                    Participant

Thanks for all of the information, fellas!

I went and saw the rig this morning but ended up walking away from it, at least at the price he was asking. Probably the biggest red flag was that the bottom of boat (inside) had been coated in some kind of liner in the past. Because the entire floor was coated, I suspect that a number of rivets have popped and that it would leak pretty badly (the coating is clearly in need of replacing). A few other things of interest: the boat had no drain plug! I’ve never seen that before, but it seems to be how the boat was made. He did have a set of vintage aluminum oars which were pretty cool, but not cool enough to make up for the shortcomings, IMO.

The trailer seemed solid enough but will require substantial work (sandblasting and bolt replacement, probably the rubber parts too). Buccaneer, the model number was stamped right where you said it would be (see pictures below). Model number looks like 244-3 24 which I have not yet been able to find any information on. He had the gator aluminum hub caps, but they were pretty corroded. I measured the rims and they were 14", so you were pretty close with your observation amuller. Interestingly, the wiring (which will need replacing) was all strung along the outside of the trailer frame. I would have thought the wiring would run through the middle of piping, but there did not appear to be any entry/exit points for wires in the frame.

JonB, you were right, it is indeed a model F (ID plate was there). The capacity plate had fallen off, but the seller still had it showing capacity of 660lbs and 20hp.

The motor appears to be really well running. It idled right down without conking out. Model number is MO-11C which I think makes it one of those lower profile 9.5HPs from the ’60s. One question about this motor, there was water discharge out the back where I would expect it, but also water discharge on either side of the motor just above the water pump by the looks of it. Is this a leak, or is this there a separate discharge for lower unit cooling? I’m not familiar with motors of this vintage.

Anyway, I told the guy I couldn’t come near his price and he had another guy coming to look at the rig this evening. So, if he sells to someone else, I won’t be disappointed, and if he comes way down in price I might go have another look.

Thanks again. Any additional thoughts?

fisherman6
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Kevin, Alumacrafts have a coating on inside bottom with abrasive. It is for secure footing when wet. What you saw may or may not have been this coating. Mine has little of this coating remaining and also needs to be recoated. It would not surprise me that this boat was made without a drain plug. They are fairly light and shallow boats and are often simply turned over to get any water out. The model F is a pretty fast little 14 foot hull.

As for the water discharge on the side near the water pump, I’m not so sure about that. I know my 10hp OMC’s discharge a but of water out the sides near the lower transom swivel. The 9.5 is a different animal though and I have had mine running yet.
                        -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.