Home Forum Ask A Member Aluminum or stainless or brass…or galvanized

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    crosbyman
    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I am fixing up a 14 Springbook footer (sears?) paid $100 (nice little rig for $100 for qwick trolling outings

transom backplates being replaced (2) 2 x 3 / 4 inch plywoods trim sealed in FB resin

what bolts should I use because aluminum bolts and nuts are not very common and I want to minimize electrolysis.. if that is a concern ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Google “Galvanic Series”. Ever wonder why stainless steel screws are so hard to get out of our aluminum outboards? It is because aluminum and SS are so far apart on the chart. It is the aluminum that corrodes in the presence of SS and forms that white powdery stuff that locks them together.. It may come as a shock to see that aluminum / steel are pretty close together and less vulnerable to galvanic corrosion.

outboardnut
        Participant

Interesting!

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

ok no SS … galvanized ?

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

frankr
            Participant

zinc (galvanizing) and steel are both close to aluminum, but on opposite sides of aluminum. I’m not smart enough to know what to think of that.

chris-p
              Participant

I am not smart enough either, however, the Engineers that the Aluminum Boat Builders are. I don’t think you will go wrong following suit.

todd281
                Participant

All I can add is this . When aluminum siding was the rage , it was not to be installed with galvanized nails. If you did, within a few years the area where the nail contacted the siding would dissolve away and the siding would fall off. I was told it was called galvantic action that caused it. I use steel bolts I figure if its good enough for the bolts in the outboard motor ,should be good for the boat also. Just my 2 cents

labrador-guy
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Speaking of bolts! OMC bolts are some kind of alloy of stainless and steel. I went to my local recycle place a while ago. Had some stainless steel separate from other scrap metal. The yard worker whipped out his magnet and said “nope same as steel”. He gave me a line that if a magnet sticks to a metal it is not stainless. John/Evin/Gale all use good bolts that don’t seam to rust but a magnet does stick to them. Thought you might like to know that!

dale

GARY SANDBERG
                    Participant

Suppose you could Google “Metals Nobility Chart”. Yes, galvanic corrosion is always a concern within a corrosion cell. Brass might also be a material to try.

phil
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Didn’t OMC use cadmium plated steel at some point?

http://www.omc-boats.org
                        http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.