Home Forum Ask A Member Anti-Seize for Gasket Sealer on Head Gaskets?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    h20lew
    Participant

US Member

So I’ve seen numerous discussions on whether or not to apply OMC gasket sealing compound on head gaskets and that can be part of this discussion. My question though, in the Peter Hunn book “The Classic Outboard Motor Handbook” listed on the AOMCI website under the resources tab and recommended reading – on Page 91 it shows reassembly of the motor and using Permatex Anti-Seize compound where the head attaches – at least on the motor side. My main question is – do other people use this vs the OMC gasket compound? And then, when the Sierra gaskets clearly say “Do Not Use Sealer” – for the gaskets that say that, should a person really be using any sealing compound at all?

pic-2

pic-3

pic-4

pic-5

• This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by h20lew.
      • This topic was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by h20lew.
      frankr
      Participant

US Member

To me, “Do not use sealer” means do not use sealer. As for the anti-seize, show me where it says in any factory service manuals to use it.

Geer Pyron
        Participant

Two different means, to two different ends.
          G

JMGP

Mumbles
          Participant

The newer gaskets have a heat activated sealer already on them and go on dry. I have used a sealer on older dry paper type gaskets but more for a bit of insurance than anything else. Anti-Seize was used on copper head gaskets as found in automotive motors.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I usually don’t recommend using the “anti seize” due to possible electrolysis issues. But, I see the product you are using is meant for aluminum, so am guessing it won’t be harmful.
              That being said, the anti seize compound is not a sealer, it is a protective lubricant, so using it on the gasket surfaces offers no benefit at all. The anti seize should be used on the head bolt threads to keep them from seizing to the block. The OMC gasket sealer can be used the same way. The gasket you are using clearly says do not use sealer, it is impregnated with its own sealer. It is important to make sure both surfaces are flat, and retorque the head bolts after initial running….
              So, I guess I am saying that coating those surfaces with anti seize like what I see pictured is a mistake….

h20lew
              Participant

US Member

Thanks guys for confirming my suspicions.

I just saw it in the book and thought, hmmmm, that doesn’t seem right to me.

seakaye12
                Participant

US Member

What book is that?

The Boat House
                  Participant

What book is that?

h20lew
                    Participant

US Member

Yep – that’s the one. I was going to post that pic in my original post but I bumped into the size limit on the attachments.

need2fish
                      Participant

Also, adding anything that effectively makes the gasket thicker interfers with the compression rings of the gasket. They may not get crimped down the point where they do their job to prevent blow-outs.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.