Home Forum Ask A Member Another Big Twin Observation….

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Depending on the mfg date, it could have that disasterous 303804 lip type seal that destroyed so many 1955 models. But that’s an awful lot of water for that (if it is water as we suspect).

mas
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Interesting !

Any chance of showing the set-up in how the hose is attached to the motors? I’ve got a 56 Evinrude 30 hp and might try the same experiment.

Mas

nj-boatbuilder57
        Participant

Me, too…

chris-p
          Participant

You can do this simple or more elaborate.

Attached you will see the area you need to work on. This is for a 35hp Gale, but they are all similar. Remove this panel, plug the drain hole that goes down into the exhaust cavity (High temp silicone works), then drill/tap the panel to accept a hose barb. Re install, and run a hose from the barb to a bottle. Now, the extra fuel/oil mix that is normally dumped in the lake can be re used or recycled.

I did one set up on a ’57 35hp OMC where I modified it to run on a fuel pump, but kept the pressure tank. I kept the double line as well….used the old air side as the oil return, to make it look factory still.

Attachments:

chris-p
            Participant

Always good to clean those screens while you have it apart as well!

As you can see, most are plugged solid. A tune up item often missed by mechanics.

bill-mcnamara
              Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

That’s exactly what I did on the engine ends, except I kept the original double line for fuel-air, and ran separate 3rd hoses to the clear bottles.
                I also have done this to a ’57 Johnson this Spring, and ran the dump hose into a regular vented 1 gal plastic gas container to which I added a 1/8th x 1/8th barbed fitting epoxied to the yellow pour spout cap.

Think I’ll do the same type of receivers for the twin Javelins. While one waste jug with 2 nipples would work, this intrusion episode is showing me the advantage of being able to keep an eye out for each engine’s "contributions".

Bill.

bill-mcnamara
                Participant

To Frank:
                  This engine bears serial # 211378 (Peterborough).
                  Would you have info to tell if this Canadian engine was "early" enough to have been built with that suspect lip seal?

Bill.

frankr
                  Participant

Sorry,, I only have the Evinrude catalog. If I am correct, Johnson identified their changes with a letter-suffix after the model number such as RD-18-S (not an actual number, I just made that up).

bill-mcnamara
                    Participant

Frank, Both of these engines are mod# RJEL-18, is the "L" the letter suffix?
                      If it is, can I assume that the seal was the change from that 303804 lip seal??
                      Bill.

frankr
                      Participant

No, that "L" means it left the factory as a long shaft. If there was a letter suffix, it would follow the "18". As for the rest of the question, I have no way of knowing without the parts book.

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 47 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.