Home Forum Ask A Member Another Big Twin Observation….

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    frankr
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
      quote amuller:

Thank you very much for this discussion. I have not seen the issue of flammable vapor from crankcase drainage recovery previously addressed.

I’m thinking of the activated carbon canisters used to recover crankcase fumes and gas tank vapors on cars.

Interesting idea. But those have to be purged, don’t they?

Chris
      Participant

Is this flammable vapor not the same flammable vapor that already exists inside the fuel tank above the fuel?
        I’m intrigued by this project, makes me want to do the same, but I’m not understanding how this vapor is any different than vapor being put out the standard way, or what’s already in the tank and carb. I’m just not seeing a safety issue by running this back to the tank.

chris-p
        Participant
          quote chris:

Is this flammable vapor not the same flammable vapor that already exists inside the fuel tank above the fuel?
          I’m intrigued by this project, makes me want to do the same, but I’m not understanding how this vapor is any different than vapor being put out the standard way, or what’s already in the tank and carb. I’m just not seeing a safety issue by running this back to the tank.

Pretty much the same, but not quite. It has been atomized in the carb through the venturi, when it goes into the combustion chamber. By the time it is back through the drain system, there is not much vapour left. Remember, its getting dumped right beneath the hot fiery hell of the exhaust chamber!

chris-p
          Participant

Why would the air line that pressurizes the pressure tank not need a vapour sepearator on it?

Just trying to figure this out…..

vintin
            Participant
              quote Chris_P:

Why would the air line that pressurizes the pressure tank not need a vapour sepearator on it?

Just trying to figure this out…..

I think you are on to something.

I don’t think my system needs a vapour separator. At first I liked it because I could see the rate at which the condensate dripped. Then it etched up and I couldn’t see. Right now I have that motor resting as I run other motors. I’ve put in new transom wood and will not be installing the separator again. The air vent on the tank does have to be sealed or vapor escapes from the fuel tank. I was hoping not to have to seal the fuel tank vent hoping the liquid would drop out of the separator and the vapor would pass on to the air box. I’m running a 15 gallon fuel tank and the 1957 35hp Johnson has a fuel pump.

Just venting the fuel tank up to the air box would be smarter.

bill-mcnamara
              Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Installed a couple of new exhaust housing gaskets and ran the engine on the hose today.
                Unfortunately the same result as original observations, with a sort of turquoise fluid in the collection bottle again.
                So, where to look next???

Some facts
                Engine ran for about 20 min on fast idle.
                Purged the lines for a few minutes to clear out Sunday’s fluid.
                I DID see some vapor in the bottle today.
                Pulled the plugs right after shut-down, one had the slightest trace of dampness barely evident.
                I only had the one "muff" so could not make a fluid volume comparison simultaneously.
                Took some pics of fluids collected on Sunday and today for comparison. Love the one on far right of cooling water ejected from exhaust spout!

The fun continues……suggestions welcome.

Bill.

Attachments:

bobw
                Participant

Bill,
                  In your previous post, I thought you were onto something when you found the loose exhaust cover screws and what looked to be water intrusion at the bottom of the exhaust cover/exhaust chamber. The inner exhaust baffle plate looked good, right?. I couldn’t see any sign of perforation in the plate.

Assume you used gasket sealer when installing new exhaust gaskets?

Applied gasket sealer to exhaust cover bolts?

Any sign of water seepage around the outside of the cylinder head gasket?

Unfortunately, might have to pull powerhead and check lower crank seal.

Those are some great looking motors. Hope you can track this down.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                  1954 Johnson CD-11
                  1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                  1958 Johnson QD-19
                  1958 Johnson FD-12
                  1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                  "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

jerry-ahrens
                  Participant

Question: Since you are catching unburned oil here, and dumping it back in to the fuel tank, do you not end up with too much oil in the fuel? Does this stuff need to be filtered before doing so? You are still loosing some unburned hydrocarbons overboard via the exhaust system anyway.

frankr
                    Participant

Just by the amount of water in the original collection, I would have sworn you had a pin hole in the exhaust baffle. But I guess not. If that much water gets past the lower seal, I am amazed. I know it gets enough to ruin the engine, but never would have thought it would be that much. I guess we all are on a learning curve here.

vintin
                      Participant

In three years I didn’t have a problem with too much oil in the fuel. In theory the original mix ratio could contain a little less oil. I did sometimes mix at 28/1 or 32/1 trying to compensate some of the added condensate oil added. The viscosity of the collected condensate looks to be the same as the original fuel mix. My system has a filter in the tank pickup and one in the fuel pump. Yes some unburned hydrocarbons from the input charge passing through the motor pushing out the burnt charge do end up overboard just like they do if no condensate is being collected. We see litter along our highways but there are stiff penalties if you are caught adding to it. There is a surprising amount of condensate collected. On my 1974 40hp ‘Jungle motor’ the condensate and vapor are directed back into the intake cover of the other cylinder eliminating the dumping of it overboard. It is run through a screen in the condensate reed valve system. This likely results in the poorer idle these motors are know for as the cool slow running motor gets it’s intake charge further enriched with oil and the heavier fuel tailings. Enriched right at the time enrichment is not needed which as least when running it back to the tank most of the enriched collected is burnt at higher RPM’s.

As a side note my 1974 Jungle motor routes each cylinder’s condensate and vapor to the other cylinder intake cover as I mentioned earlier. These condensate reed valves allow for each cylinders’ condensate to be collected separately, which I have done. The lower cylinder collect more condensate when it was routed to two seperate collection tanks.

Here is a photo and link to a Suzuki vapor separator and recovery assembly that contains a float and valve system that routes vapor into the incoming air stream and uses a fuel pump to pump the fuel/oil condensate back into the fuel system before the carburetor. This is self contained under the cowling and is similar to system OMC also used. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1987-2003-Suzu … 0005.m1851

1974 40hp Jungle motor:

Photo showing seperate routing of the condensate from the collection reed plate cover:

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 40 (of 47 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.