Another Javelin question: starter motor

Home Forum Ask A Member Another Javelin question: starter motor

This topic contains 20 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by Avatar reivertom 2 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)
    nj-boatbuilder57

Replies: 253
    Topics: 37

Well, that’s an interesting question….. At the risk of sounding like a cheapskate:

I looked at the Arco. It was about $140 + freight, if I recall correctly. Made in the USA, which is a big deal for me. I’ll pay extra to get American-made quality and keep American’s working. But I called them to ask them what the FLA & LRA values for their motor was, asked about torque curves, etc. and their reply was absurd: "We don’t really think about our motors in those terms".

Huh? Those *ARE* the terms in which motors are specified.

And our conversation went downhill from there; they were fully & completely INcapable of discussing their motor in any meaningful, relevant technical / electrical way. Didn’t leave me with any confidence whatsoever.

So I went to eBay and found a virtually-identical unit that claimed exact replacement status for all of the associated OMC part numbers. I’m sure it’s some Chinese knockoff (brand name "Gladiator"), but it was $52, free shipping from some supply house in Dallas. Even though no electrical specs were available, I figured the $100 savings was worth a try.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-JOHNSON-EV … 2749.l2649

Note that the eBay description has a misprint. It states this is a 10-tooth gear which concerned me, but looking at the pic you can clearly figure that this has 11 teeth, per OMC specs.

Will it last? Is it junk? Way too soon to know / tell. The eBay seller has a solid rating, so hopefully it’s decent. Ask me in a year if I "saved" anything at all!! šŸ™‚

olcah
    olcah
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 271
    Topics: 60

Well, as a year has passed and I also have a Javelin, Did you get to use your “Gladiator” starter much? If so how did it go?
    Thank you..

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by olcah olcah.
    nj-boatbuilder57

Replies: 253
    Topics: 37

It works great.

I’m not really welcome around here anymore, so if you want more details, e-mail me directly.

frankr
    frankr
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 3943
    Topics: 43

It works great.

Iā€™m not really welcome around here anymore, so if you want more details, e-mail me directly.

What???? Who???? Why???? I’d say you are welcome, and apologize if I or anybody else offended you.

Ignorance is simply a lack of education. Ignorance can be cured. There is no cure for Stupid.

olcah
    olcah
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 271
    Topics: 60

As a fellow member I am glad you are here. For example this thread is very interesting/informative.

reivertom
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 588
    Topics: 30

Believe it or not, but I had starter troubles with my ’57 Javelin and all I did was squirt WD40 in every crack and in the solenoid until it ran out along with some black crud.. After everything loosened up, there was no more problems. This was in 1990, so it hadn’t been touched in 33 years at that point. I think the solenoid was my main problem.

• This reply was modified 2 months, 1 week ago by Avatar reivertom.
Viewing 6 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.