Home Forum Ask A Member Another stupid question about my Johnson CDs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    archangel
    Participant

I know some really nuanced and advanced things about vintage and antique motors from being a regular reader of these boards for about 10 months now, but there are some really silly simplistic things I sometimes find myself needing answered now and then, too. I have only been in the hobby a short time and never really had any outboards older than the early 70s prior to starting a small collection last year. I have only just used my two Johnson CDs (CD-12 & CD-17) for the first time on my boat this week. Before that I only barrel tested them. Thanks to all the knowledge on these boards, they run like tops.

Now that you have some long-winded background exposition that you probably don’t need, here comes the stupid question: Is there not any mechanism to lock the CDs in the tilted position? It makes it very difficult for me to roll my boat on and off my shore ramp when the motor wants to drop down to the run position from tilted up.

I now feel the shame of extreme ignorance having exposed myself to the board. Please keep the ribbing gentle 😆

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The only foolish question is the one not asked buddy.
        There is no actual "tilt lock" to hold the engine in the tilted up position.
        But, there is a tilt friction adjustment that can be tightened by simply tightening up the nut on the stern bracket/swivel bracket thru bolt. The friction is controlled by a large plastic conical "washer" lodged between the left stern bracket and swivel housing. Be careful if this is a salt water motor though, these parts may be corroded/stuck in place, over tightening the nut might just strip it or snap off the thru bolt.
        Don

Steve A W
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

A chunk of 2×4 will help. Just don’t use it to transport the boat.
          Your gonna love those CD’s, one of the best fishin motors ever!

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
          I live in Northwest Indiana

archangel
          Participant

Thanks guys. If the adjustment doesn’t do it, I’ll cut myself a chunk of wood.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.