Home Forum Ask A Member Ants attacking my 1984 Evinrude 15hp

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    cajuncook1
    Participant

My main engine for fishing on my 14ft modified v-hull Monark is my 1984 Evinrude 15hp. That is a very reliable and smooth running motor.

Well, I put it on the back of the boat last month, because I was getting ready for fishing season. I went to look at the starter, because I was having some manual starter issues on my 1976 Evinrude 9.9hp motor I got recently. Well, I found out that ants were starting to make a pile in my motor. I quickly took the hose to the mess and then took a leaf blower to blow the ants out and dry it up.

There were ants flying all over the place. I quickly look in the silencer box and carburetor, there were no signs that they invaded that area. If I had waited a couple of more days, then that would have been a big old mess. Well, since it is off the boat, I will change the impeller.

Be careful if you park your boat and motor under a tree. The boat and motor were covered well with a boat and motor tarp from Academy.

Dang ANTS!!

reivertom
      Participant

US Member

It must be a really sweet running motor………………………..sorry, I had to.

david-bartlett
        Participant

Cajun,

That reminds me of a time I had with my 2-cycle Homelite water pump. I tried to start it once, and it wouldn’t even pop, and I had used it the day before. I pulled the cord for way too long, then took a break. While resting, a wasp flew right into the muffler, and the light came on for me. I loosened the screws holding the muffler to the block, and it started on the next pull.

Another learning experience.

crosbyman
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

the bugs must have had an anterior motive for invading your motor

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

phil
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Ants dislike borax, they love to get between the beehive covers this time of year nice and warm there. I get a box of "20 Mule team borax" and sprinkle it around between covers, if it’s really bad it goes on the ground around the hive entrance. The bees don’t seem to care, but at least they are not wasting their time fighting with ants.

http://www.omc-boats.org
              http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.