Anyone tried this coil?

Home Forum Ask A Member Anyone tried this coil?

This topic contains 11 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by Avatar johng 4 weeks, 1 day ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
    drifter
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 98
    Topics: 59

I have some coils that the box label states BBT-B16421. “Replaces Lawnboy 580184”. Will these replace OMC P/N 580118? 1957 Sea King 5.5hp.
    Drifter

seakaye12
    seakaye12
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 358
    Topics: 96

Well I think so because if I put that part number into Google it comes back to an Amazon page that shows the OMC style coils (universal magneto) that would fit your Sea King.

https://www.amazon.de/Z%C3%BCndspulen-584477-582995-Au%C3%9Fenborder-Zylinder-ROP-Shop/dp/B06XK884M3

drifter
    US Member - 1 Year

Yes, that’s what I see too. But…there is always a but…..I have the coils and the ones I have do not fit. There is an extra “brace” on the coil body that supports the spark plug wire port. This brace – on my coils – interferes with a land cast into the armature plate thus not allowing the coils to sit flat on the mounting plates. The attached photos show the interference areas (pencil pointing to them). Maybe the coils manufacturer changed how the coils are made????

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Mumbles Mumbles.
    Attachments:
    XR55
    US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 285
    Topics: 29

Take a dremel and shape the coil to fit the mag plate.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Avatar XR55.
    outboardnut
    outboardnut
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 397
    Topics: 307

folllowing

frankr
    frankr
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 3936
    Topics: 43

The original Lawn Boy and OMC coils were interchangeable, but it appears you are dealing with modern aftermarket coils.

Ignorance is simply a lack of education. Ignorance can be cured. There is no cure for Stupid.

crosbyman
    Canada Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1108
    Topics: 147
    jeff-register
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 1037
    Topics: 41

Just checked, Amazon is out of them now. 2/18/19 @ 19:40 hrs

crosbyman
    Canada Member - 1 Year

try eBay

drifter
    US Member - 1 Year

The gentleman I bought them from has graciously offered to take them back. I could grind off the land (which is filled with potting “epoxy”?) but I feel that modifying these parts is just not the way I want to rebuild a magneto.

crosbyman
    Canada Member - 1 Year

McGiver does it all the time and finds alternatives but that is a personal choice . imho adapting the coil or the base is not likely a reason to worry about reliability if that is your main concern.

Case in point most folks replace outboard rectifiers with OEM eqpt at a high price.

Rectifiers are simple 4 way diode bridges and you can buy a high capacity 4 way bridge rectifier for 3-4 dollars …. but it does not come with a fancy molding and mounting hardware leaving room to imagination as to how it can be fitted in…. but it is still a rectifier.

johng
    US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 75
    Topics: 8

I was told that the OMC Lawnboy Coils will not work in a Outboard Motor. They are a bolt in replacement but have less Secondary Windings. The motor will not Rev up to the correct RPM due to this fact. (they are intended for Low RPM 1 Cyl Air Cooled Lawn Mower Engines). You can identify these by the Small Pin in the Spark Wire Socket. I think we need ” Garry Spencer” to comment on this.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.