Home Forum Ask A Member Aquaflyer 32 hp?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member

Seen this posted on Facebook AOMCI.
      I can’t read the small print. Is this Aquaflyer
      a home built affair, or what’s it’s story?

Prepare to be boarded!

milty
      Participant

Lifetime Member

The VA Aquaflyer is a version of the VE-50 that was to be installed in an enclosed, rear compartment of a specially built boat. The transom was recessed in a well that made the boat look like an inboard from the rear, and had a cover, similar to that of an inboard runabout over the motor. The VA has a diaphragm, fuel pumping carburetor that took fuel from a tank in the boat, therefore, the standard fuel tank was not needed and was removed. Steering was by cable and the steering handle of the standard V motor was also done away with; there is a blank plate put over the place where the standard handle assembly is normally attached.

Buccaneer
        Participant

US Member

Thanks for the information! Very interesting. That explains why the strange fuel system. I was
          beginning to think it ran on propane.
          Were these factory converted, by an after-market company, or do it yourself kits?

Prepare to be boarded!

milty
          Participant

Lifetime Member

It was an factory motor. I had one many years ago, but traded it off.

In 1930, just as the depression came along where no one could afford them, Johnson also sold boats, including one specially made for the VA motor. Somewhere, I can’t find it now, I have an ad for those boats.. However, I’ll include a page from the 1930 general manual that shows the oiling instructions for the VA, and an instruction page for the “fuel lift” carburetor.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

I thought I had a picture – but it turned out to be a different outboard. . . It must be in one of my 5000 meet pictures – [/B]

Buccaneer
              Participant

US Member

Just went I thought I’ve seen pictures of all the outboards ever made!
                An import perhaps? Van Blerck sounds like something Colonel Klink
                might say!

Prepare to be boarded!

squierka39
                Participant

US Member

That’s neat, I’ve heard of the Van Blerck inboard with outdribe but never heard of the outboard Van Blerck. I wonder if anyone in the club has one?

Randy in Tampa
                  Participant

I would love to have one for my collection,…….😏

Rotary valve Johnson’s Rule!

milty
                    Participant

Lifetime Member
                      dsaulsbury
                      Participant

US Member

Johnson was working on the idea of matched boats and motors before 1930. They had a “prototype” in 1927 that was called an Aquaflyer. The motor had a large disk instead of clamps that attached the motor into the well. The attached pics are of the restored boat, belonging to a friend. I think the model number of the motor was something like P?-35. I took the pics on a test cruise on Canandaigua Lake in New York after the owner mounted the motor after purchasing it from Canada.

DCP_1332

DCP_1333

• This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by dsaulsbury.
                        • This reply was modified 5 years, 2 months ago by dsaulsbury.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.