Home Forum Ask A Member Armature plate support grease

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    fleetwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

While it is true that the mount is the ground return, it’s nothing to get paranoid about.  The high spark voltage has no problem jumping across any resistance.

Like Frank says, this should not be an issue for the several thousand volts finding their way back to the coil.

But, there is a ground wire on the little 2hp that is very important due to the plastic bushing on the mag plate that insulates the high voltage return.  There is a ground wire on everyone’s favorite “low tension system” as well.  On this engine, it is the primary lower voltage that returns to the mag plate.

bob-d
      Participant

US Member

Well since this post went from grease to grounds, I have another question.

I noticed that OMC added a ground strap on the 33HP where my 64 28HP didn’t have one. Would it be a good idea to add it, and where exactly does it go?

Thanks,

Bob D

IMG_2089

The Boat House
        Participant

While it is true that the mount is the ground return, it’s nothing to get paranoid about.  The high spark voltage has no problem jumping across any resistance.

This was a real light bulb moment for me.
          Tubs

frankr
          Participant

US Member

Well since this post went from grease to grounds, I have another question.

I noticed that OMC added a ground strap on the 33HP where my 64 28HP didn’t have one. Would it be a good idea to add it, and where exactly does it go?

Thanks,

Bob D

IMG_2089

Since the motor is mounted in rubber mounts, the ground wire bonds it to the steering bracket.

1 user thanked author for this post.
            billw
            Participant

US Member

Like Frank says, this should not be an issue for the several thousand volts finding their way back to the coil.

But, there is a ground wire on the little 2hp that is very important due to the plastic bushing on the mag plate that insulates the high voltage return.  There is a ground wire on everyone’s favorite “low tension system” as well.  On this engine, it is the primary lower voltage that returns to the mag plate.

Those are good reminders at a good time. Thanks, Don!

Long live American manufacturing!

Viewing 5 posts - 11 through 15 (of 15 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.