Home Forum Ask A Member AT-10 Head Gasket

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    kevinf
    Participant

I’m putting together an AT-10 with an LT-10 as a parts donor. One of the spark plug holes is stripped out so I was going to pull the head off the LT. Before I do – are the gaskets still available or should I be very careful and try to save one? Would it make more sense to insert a helicoil and put a bit of grease on the tap so I don’t have to pull either head? I don’t remember the last time I worked on a motor with removable heads and I’ve read all the horror stories about broken head bolts ….

Kev

Mumbles
      Participant

If you can’t find a gasket, I’d go with a Heli Coil brand insert specifically designed for spark plug thread repair and not a regular thread repair insert.

lloyd
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I posted a long reply and it showed up but 10 minutes later it got deleted????

Short version. Recommend you test compression on both powerheads first to decide how to procede. If the LT is the best powerhead, just swap the whole powerhead. If AT is better powerhead, you can make good head gasket from Victor Reinz JV127. Broken head bolts is a long subject.

lloyd
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have seen a LOT of failed helicoil spark plug repairs, so I don’t use them. And they are not cheap. Not saying it cannot be done. I just don’t trust them. Much rather swap heads and take the risk of broken head bolts, which are not a big deal, if you know how to deal with them. Just my opinion.

garry-in-michigan
            Participant

Lifetime Member

It looks like we may have some hacker problems. I had one of my posts deleted also.

🙁

kevinf
              Participant

There was no quick way to get a compression test as there weren’t enough threads left on the one head to hold a plug and the donor is in pieces. I ended up pulling the head off motor and making a new gasket. Bolts were tight but I didn’t break any so I didn’t have that one to deal with.

Of course we all know my next problem. Exactly – if I can just find a torque tube, a few small pieces and helicoil some threads into my donor motor with a bit more work I could have both an AT-10 and an LT-10 on the rack! I really should know better by now.

Thanks
                Kev

ede
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Head gasket is available, p/n 41336

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member
                    Mumbles
                    Participant
                    Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.