Bad coil

Home Forum Ask A Member Bad coil

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)

• tinkerman

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 312
    Topics: 54

If I have a single cylinder antique outboard, with a bad coil, can I run the engine with a buzz coil? What about a twin cylinder , could you do the same?

It's a jungle out there.

Tom

Replies: 636
    Topics: 57

Assuming you are talking about a Model T coil… if the points close at the time of firing, you can use a buzz coil for each cylinder. This is how I run my early Evinrude. You can’t fire more than one spark plug at a time unless you open up the coil and separate the secondary from the primary. (The contact on the bottom of a Model T coil is common to both windings).

If the points open at the time of firing, it can be done but you need a relay for each coil so that the coil fires when the points open. The problem with this arrangement is that there is a lag, so you can’t do this with something that turns really fast. I’ve done this with a Caille RBM, and if you search this site you’ll find the wiring diagram.

If you need to run an opposed twin on a buzz coil, you can set up a set of Model T points at the end of a Zephyr coil. This is how my battery / coil box is set up. To run a single cylinder motor, I ground one side of the secondary leads to the same lead that attaches to the engine, not the one that goes to the isolated point. To run something like a Koban, I can run separate leads to each cylinder instead of grounding one.

If you have a motor with rare, bad coils and the primary is good, you can strip off the secondary and mount an OMC coil anywhere on the motor. Hook the primary wires from the OMC coil to the primary leads of the one in the mag plate, then a high tension wire from the OMC coil to the spark plug. It’s not pretty, but I ran a little Mercury like this quite a while ago.

T

tinkerman

Thanks for the reply tom youve helped me a couple of times in the past. I’ve got a few old motors (late twenties fleetwin and an old 36 or 38 champion single that are getting no fire after cleaning everything I know to clean. Electricity is NOT a strong point of mine and this coil thing is giving me fits. Primary secondary ….. It’s all Greek to me. If you know of any good sites to school myself id be grateful

It's a jungle out there.

tinkerman

On the 38 champion if I unhook the points and condenser and set the flywheel on and spin it with my hand while holding the plugwire I get fire but with the points and condenser hooked up nothing, does this make sense?

It's a jungle out there.

Tom

Replies: 636
    Topics: 57

You may get “fire” but I doubt it’s enough to fire a spark plug under compression. Does this motor have a WICO mag? If so, I’d suspect a bad condenser. T

tinkerman

I’ve heard of wico but don’t know how to identify one. Still kinda new to this, learning a lot along the way thanks to the club. When I get home this evening I can take a pic. And your probably right about the amount of fire, as it was just a tickle to my finger. Just thought it strange I got nothing with points hooked up.

It's a jungle out there.

The Boat House

Replies: 4549
    Topics: 111

tinkerman

Here’s mine

IMG_20200618_162602574_HDR2

It's a jungle out there.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Mumbles.

jcrigan

Replies: 533
    Topics: 34

That old condenser may be bad. Go to your auto parts dealer and get one for a 1962 chevy nova six cylinder. They are a 0.02 uf capacitor. And they are cheaper in cost than most.

tinkerman

Thanks will try this as I’m sure it’s only a few $. Nice to know that part is interchangeable as a lot of the old outboards are .02

It's a jungle out there.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.