Home Forum Ask A Member Bearing ID on 1955 OMC 25 hp lower unit

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Buccaneer
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

My 1962 Gale 40 hp evidently has a 1955 ish Evinrude 25 hp lower unit on it.
      The 1955 diagram shows the prop shaft outboard ball bearing as part # 20-52,
      which doesn’t exist on the Net, even if I add “zeros” in front of the number.
      The 1962 diagram shows the ball bearing as #307545.
      Anyone know if they are the same bearing?
      Thanks

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
      Participant

20-52 supersedes to 307545. Isn’t it just a stock ball bearing? Sure would be a lot cheaper.

bobw
        Participant

Buc,
          I just replaced that same bearing on my ’56 RD-18 30hp. The bearing number 20-52 represents the bore and outer bearing diameters in millimeters. Bearing depth/thickness is 15mm, so full number is 20-52-15. Doing a google search, I found a corresponding ball bearing is either SKF bearing #6304 or NDH bearing #3304. Photo of mine enclosed.

25-New-Rear-Roller-Bearing-20-52-15

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
          1954 Johnson CD-11
          1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
          1958 Johnson QD-19
          1958 Johnson FD-12
          1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
          "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

garry-in-michigan
          Participant

Lifetime Member

This is what I have . . .

1963 40 HP Gale
            Screen-Shot-2019-06-17-at-10.54.53-AM
            Screen-Shot-2019-06-17-at-10.56.52-AM

Buccaneer
            Participant

Thank you all for the replies. The said bearing is the only one I haven’t pulled yet,
              and I’m not able to see a parts number from visible areas. It’s the only bearing
              that “may” be okay, so I didn’t pull it yet until I could figure out availability and cost.

On another note, my gear case is missing support strap, picture ID #34, shown
              in Garry’s first diagram. Can I assume it holds the weight of the drive shaft
              and pinion gear. Any reason a P.O. may have left it out on purpose???
              With the “home made” stop on the drive shaft above the pinion gear, made out
              of a large threaded bolt (I think), it’s got me wondering about the whole enchilada!

Prepare to be boarded!

frankr
              Participant

Yeah, it holds the drive shaft. Pinion gear floats on the forward & reverse gears. At some later time, they eliminated the support strap and instead let the drive shaft bottom out in the pinion. One reason you gotta have the right “look-alike” parts.

wbeaton
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

I think you’ll find that the 1963 Gale gearcase Garry posted is actually the same as the 1957 and newer non-Super Quiet lower unit. The pinion is different (and better) in the newer lower units.

Wayne
                  Upper Canada Chapter

uccaomci.com

Buccaneer
                  Participant

Thanks again for the replies and information. Have to do a little research after mowing and see
                    if I might have a pinion support strap from a different parts motor. Can’t remember off hand
                    if the QD Johnson used one, but probably smaller if they did.

Prepare to be boarded!

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.