Home Forum Ask A Member Belzona For Drive Shaft Repairs?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Mumbles
    Participant

Has anyone ever heard of or used Belzona products?

A friend gave me a Belzona 1111 epoxy repair kit and after reading up on it, I’m wondering if it couldn’t be used to repair the grooves worn into shafts caused by the lip on the seal. If so, it would be a lot quicker and easier than welding/machining or sleeving a shaft.

After going onto their website and clicking on the 1111 product and watching their repair videos, I’m thinking it might be possible.

https://www.belzona.com/en/products/1000.aspx

https://www.belzona.com/en/products/1000/1111.aspx

https://youtu.be/IqzjruQHsOg

Buccaneer
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I’ve looked up the product in the past when I was looking for options for the type
        of drive shaft repairs you mention. I believe it was relatively expense, which might
        be okay if it has a long shelf live, as very little would be needed for mentioned repairs.
        Also, I wonder how abrasive the repair would be for a rubber seal area?
        One thing sliding a bearing over a repair area, may be another a rubber seal?
        Here’s a YouTube video……

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kn3-5a-PsZI

Prepare to be boarded!

jrm80
        Participant

I HAVE USED BELZONA IN THE PAST AND BEEN VERY IMPRESSED WITH IT’S RESULTS. FOR YOUR APPLICATION HOWEVER, I WOULD GO WITH A SPEEDIE SLEEVE. THEY ARE VERY THIN STAINLESS STEEL SLEEVES THAT WILL COVER THE WORN AREA. THEY ARE FAIRLY EASY TO INSTALL ALTHOUGH THEY ARE A LITTLE PRICEY–(20.00-30.00) DEPENDING ON THE SIZE. LOOK THEM UP, THEY’RE PROBABLY JUST WHAT YOU NEED.

JRM80

billw
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

There is a well-respected shop in my area that uses it to repair pitted hydraulic ram surfaces, with good results, when that’s the only solution. We have repaired a few rotted through aluminum engine blocks with it and the repairs have lasted for a good number of years, in salt water. I think it is better than Marine Tex, by a mile. I dunno about running a seal lip on it, though; and the stuff is very expensive. But I will definitely be looking forward to your results! I ALMOST used it on a badly pitted, 1970 4 hp Merc driveshaft, but finally figured a way to make something resembling a speedi-sleeve. (Before anyone asks, it took like a zillion hours of experimentation and work, to save a $50 motor. It was more the principle of the thing. Actual Speedi-Sleeves are not available in a size that small.)

Long live American manufacturing!

Buccaneer
            Participant

Mumbles, did you ever try the Belzona for shaft repairs in a seal area?

Prepare to be boarded!

green-thumbs
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Had a Radio Flyer wagon a lot of years back. The thin sheet metal cracked around areas where fasteners went thru.Took wagon to
                local welder. He used torch and flux to braze large washers to sheet
                metal. OEM should have done it that way…
                I wonder if brazing the groove worn in shaft would be easier to
                refinish than weld. It seems to me that chucking shaft in lather and carefully turning off excess metal then polishing with file and sandpapr
                might work. Even better using a tool post grinder for a really smooth
                surface.
                All that I can recall is welder used torch, flux and a rod of brazing
                material to repair wagon and it went very quickly…I think a common
                problem with a well rehearsed technique to fix.
                Louis

Buccaneer
                Participant

Brazing has it’s challenges as well, but easier to see what you’re doing,
                  apply, etc. Might be a problem keeping the molten mass from running
                  off the shaft, and turning the shaft as you braze.
                  Also, not sure how long the brazed area holds up to wear from the
                  seal, but probably not an issue with a little used antique.

Prepare to be boarded!

Samuel Phelps
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ll bet it would would work good for patching an aluminum boat hull or pitted transom….

chris-p
                    Participant

Lately I have been turning down the shaft to a slightly smaller OD (as long as the groove is not that deep).

I then have seals made with the same OD, but smaller ID, to fit this machined down surface.

Easier than building the ID back up to original spec. These “build ups” often fail, and are a lot of work as mentioned. Cheaper and easier to change the seal used.

Just my 2 cents.

dave-bernard
                      Participant

just an idea. how about turning down the shaft and use a seal that fits the new diameter ??

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 11 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.