Home Forum Ask A Member Bendix SM Magneto Advice

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    desmohead
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hello All!

I’m looking for some guidance on the correct way to remove the mag from my Bendix SM. I seem to remember reading somewhere
      that there may be a special tool required. I thought I’d ask around before I started.

Best!

Eric Truntz
      Yankee Chapter

Tom
      Participant

US Member

Hey there Eric…

Nothing special about getting it out. Flywheel comes off in the normal fashion, the nut can be used to tension the flywheel then use a tap to get it free. I usually don’t recommend using it for removal, you can tear out the cover over the nut.

Once the flywheel is off, it’s all pretty obvious. Coils attach just like on a Mercury with Bendix coils. If you need to remove the whole thing you may need a special tiny little wrench to free up the ball joints.

The issue is getting the flywheel back on without destroying the points. You need to make sure the crank is oriented so the flywheel goes back on with the high point of the cam AWAY from the points. Replacements are available, but I don’t remember the part number. IIRC, I used something from a Checker Cab in the ’60’s.

T

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.