Home Forum Ask A Member Bent piece inside 57 Johnson Lower-please see pics

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    danblue
    Participant

Hello Everyone,

Well, I am about to start prepping my newly acquired 1957 35hp Jognson lower housing for paint, and I noticed there is a bent rim piece. I lifted that flat metal plate off and noticed this bent part. See pictures attached.

Will this bend in the metal cause any issues? I’m about to cover this cavity with paper and tape it off for painting, then I’m having my outboard mechanics essentially rebuild the lower for me. I just want to make sure this bent area won’t cause any mechanical issues, or water/oil leaking issues.

Thanks!

screen shot windows

danblue
      Participant
        danblue
        Participant
          al-lockhart
          Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Looks perfectly normal to me, just the way the casting is made.

danblue
            Participant

If you look at the first picture and notice that slight discoloration in the middle of the bend, then look at where my pencil is pointing in the remaining two pictures, there is a slight crack there, and you can see daylight through it.

I just want to make sure this doesn’t create an area where water will get in, etc. Is this a concern at all?

Thanks!

chinewalker
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

That’s a common issue. What happens is water gets trapped in those cavities, then freezes, popping the lip over. Really doesn’t make a huge issue, as the entire area is sealed under the water pump plate so that water can be drawn up from below. That is, as long as the base plate is supported enough elsewhere that it can’t bow or warp.

danblue
                Participant

Thank you Chinewalker. Well, the base plate fits perfectly snug there, and there’s nothing that looks like it would cause any issues…The fit is perfect….I just didn’t know if that slight hole where this metal is bent would be cause for water to enter any part of the unit to cause problems, etc…Seems to me this is not a problem.
                  Any other input is much appreciated.

Thanks!

mr-asa
                  Participant

The seal is in that brass part the driveshaft goes through. There’s no other seal in that area. Shouldn’t be an issue.

frankr
                    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
                      quote danblue:

Thank you Chinewalker. Well, the base plate fits perfectly snug there, and there’s nothing that looks like it would cause any issues…The fit is perfect….I just didn’t know if that slight hole where this metal is bent would be cause for water to enter any part of the unit to cause problems, etc…Seems to me this is not a problem.
                      Any other input is much appreciated.

Thanks!

As long as the hole doesn’t go through to the outside of the case (below the cavity under question), it shouldn’t be a problem. I agree with the freezing theory. I’d use it without fear. Be sure to clean it up where the plate sits, and use some sealer.

danblue
                      Participant

I understand. So any "sealing" is achieved down in the hole where that brass ring is with a seal seated underneath the brass…. I watched a guy on YouTube removing this brass ring recently to replace the seal.

So we can define this cavity area where this bend is as a "non-critical" area as far as water/oil moving into and out of where leaking could occur.

Thanks a million!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 12 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.