Home Forum Ask A Member Best way to remove the retaining clips on transom clamps?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    mr-asa
    Participant

It looks like I need to grab some needle nose pliers (or similar) and just pry them off? Is there a better way?

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Jr. High school teacher in "Shop" class said never use a screwdriver as a pry bar. But he isn’t watching. Try to re-create the original shape as you work it off with the forbidden screwdriver.

mr-asa
        Participant

Thanks Frank!

chris-p
          Participant

Just keep backing them out 😉

Mumbles
            Participant

Two seconds with the cutting torch.

frankr
              Participant

I assume you are trying to save the uber-expensive clampscrews. Be careful how you get those retainers off or you will mess up the groove in the screw.

kevinrude
                Participant

It took me a while, but I finally found this diagram that Garry had provided to me some years back. There was a special tool, or block really, that was used to, I believe, un-flatten and then extract them. I think when I did this to a motor a few years back I used a simple block of wood with some degree of success.

rmhxruss
                  Participant

That tool pictured is a installation tool for the retainer clips. We still have one but have not used it in years.

The Boat House
                    Participant

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by The Boat House.
                      • This reply was modified 3 years, 2 months ago by The Boat House.
                      chinewalker
                      Participant

I pry them off, cut the nub off, then drill & tap them for a bolt. I use a 1-inch 1/4-20 bolt and thin the hex head down a bit on the grinder (so it doesn’t extend beyond the cup washer). I drill in about an inch into the thumbscrew. I then run a tapered tap in until it bottoms out. That leaves the last 1/4 inch or so of threads not quite perfect, which is perfect for burying the bolt into them so it won’t back out. Make sure you don’t run the bolt in deep enough to clamp against the cup washer as you still want it to be able to move. Not original, but they hold better than the clips and can be undone easily later if you bugger hip a handle…

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.