Home Forum Ask A Member Big Twin Correct Starter Identification

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 35 total)
  • Author
    olcah
    Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

It seems the same for starters or brackets. You can identify 6V vs 12V just by the distance the mounting bolts or mounting holes are apart.
      My simple takeaway from this discussion is that some foreign made starters claim to be replacements for the 6V starters. They are. BUT they do not tell you that in order to use that replacement starter you need to change the bracket to the correct 12V bracket.

outboardnut
      Participant

I’m totally lost
        space between the red line is 1 and 3/4
        space between the yellow line is 3 and 1/2
        This is on 6 volt BRACKET

DSCN3062-1

olcah
        Participant

Outboardnut. The bracket photo from Mumbles that you marked up does not show the bolts we are talking about. When you look at a bare starter you see two long bolts that hold the starter together. They stick out about 1/2 inch from the end of the starter body near the Bendix. To mount the starter in a bracket those 1/2 inch screw ends are screwed into the bracket. (after the nuts on those bolts are removed. (Yes you can have the starter come apart if you are not careful) On the bracket that you found on Ebay you can see the treaded holes in the bracket one on either side of the round hole in the bracket where the Bendix sticks through.

The distance from centerline of one long bolt to the centerline of the other is either 2 1/4 inch for 6 V starters or 2 7/16 inch for 12V starters. The distance between holes in the bracket must match the distance between the threaded bolts on the starter for the starter to fit the bracket. Hope this helps.

Mumbles
          Participant

These bolts. Not the bracket bolts.

Prestolite-Autolite-4104M-Starter-Drive

outboardnut
            Participant

Got it
              I need to read more carefully
              and a picture is worth a thousand words
              Good info when going to a swap meet

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by outboardnut.
              outboardnut
              Participant

Ok let me make some more confusion
                Will a 12 volt bracket with starter from a
                1957 Johnson 35 hp or 1958 Johnson 35 hp RDE-19
                fit and work on Johnson 1955 25 hp RDE-17 that was originally designed for 6 volts?

olcah
                Participant

I don’t know for sure if it would work on a 1955. I do see the 6V bracket numbers differ between 1955 and 1956 in the parts lists. Need to hear from someone who has tried it.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by olcah.
                  bobw
                  Participant

OK, so I’m considering converting my ’56 Johnson RD-18 to electric start and came across this thread. I believe the original bracket that was on the ’56 electric start motors was part #376507. Is there a 12V starter that would fit this bracket, or if not, what combination of bracket and starter numbers would I need for 12V that would mount up to the ’56 engine block? I know I can just use a 6V starter with the original 376507 bracket and run it for short bursts on a 12V battery but I’d prefer having a modern 12V system.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                    1954 Johnson CD-11
                    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                    1958 Johnson QD-19
                    1958 Johnson FD-12
                    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

olcah
                    Participant

I believe you want bracket 376885. I believe that is the number of the bracket that I used with the Taiwan starter but can’t be positive. I bought that number NOS on EBay after this discussion to use on another RDE18 later. If you have a 1957 or 58 RDE parts list you should check that number to be sure. Anyway the tapped holes for the starter bolts on 376885 are 2 7/16 apart. I have photos if you want to contact me thru the site. I don’t see how to post them here. I have not used the Taiwan starter that I bought but it fitted up easily and seems to work OK . That starter number is above.

Would have answered sooner but thought this thread was inactive 🙂

bobw
                      Participant

Since posting my inquiry, I did confirm I need the ’57-58 bracket #376885. Another member sent me a photo of that bracket mounted on his ’56 30hp. He has an another bracket and is sending it my way.

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
                        1954 Johnson CD-11
                        1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
                        1958 Johnson QD-19
                        1958 Johnson FD-12
                        1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
                        "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

Viewing 10 posts - 21 through 30 (of 35 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.