Home Forum Ask A Member Blind Bearing Puller

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    itchy
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

In the Pochefamily.org/outboard/carburetorservicing site, David Poche mentions a blind bearing puller
      for extracting brass cylinders from primer in H & T Johnson motors. I haven’t found a way to send
      question to David Poche, but have great difficulty pulling these brass cylinders. He says they
      are expensive but work well and I would like to explore. Does anyone know where I could
      check into finding one of these? There is a photo in his writeup.

joecb
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I don’t know about Dave’s blind bearing puller, but one can usually pull a blind brass or bronze bushing by screwing in a suitably sized tap and pulling that , or then insert a stud and pull on that. Of course you then must replace the "screwed- up " bushing.

Joe B

legendre
        Participant

A blind bearing puller passes though the ID of the bearing, with a pair (or trio) of wedge-shaped fingers that are expanded, wedging the fingers between the bearing’s inner race and the bottom of the bore. Then either a tension screw or slide hammer is used to extract the bearing.

I believe there is also a type which expands directly within the ID and grips the sides.. ultimately, it’s all a matter of obtaining proper purchase on the part to be removed, and these devices have their limits.

ETA: Also, this method tends to damage or ruin the bearing, as it pulls on the ID which is never desirable. In the case of the thin-wall brass insert in the Johnson carbs, there’s a good chance it will slightly distort but not totally wreck the part. All depends on how much force is required, obviously.

jw-in-dixie
          Participant

Can you use the heavy grease and hammer method like we do removing needle bearings from K Merc gear boxes?

JW in Dixie

Mumbles
            Participant

The’re on sale right now at Princess Auto.

http://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/b … -p8104036e

frankr
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

That looks like a worthy tool for a number of jobs. Like pulling the drive shaft bearing out of a Big Twin.

Mumbles
                Participant

Amazon.ca has them to.

http://www.amazon.ca/Bearing-Internal-E … puller+set

itchy
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Thank you Mumbles. I have tried Princess Auto – for the special price thru July 5th – but they are apparently closed
                    today. I will go to Amazon. Everyones help is appreciated. I hope this Blind Bearing Puller works.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.