Blue paint for 1957 Evinrude 35hp

Home Forum Ask A Member Blue paint for 1957 Evinrude 35hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)

• danblue

Replies: 58
    Topics: 7

Hello Everyone,

Well, I found a solution for those of you who were extremely helpful to me last week with my cracked skeg/lower unit gear box issues. I found a nice fellow that is shipping me a 35hp lower housing with good gears and bearings..the shift dog is worn on the new unit, but I’m certain my existing shift dog is fine as it never pushed out of gear on me, and I always "snapped" it quick into and out of gear.

The new unit is Johnson red, and I was planning on cleaning it up, sanding with 400 grit wet paper, cleaning again, then applying a few coats of primer, then applying a few coats of that Evinrude blue to match the rest of my engine. Does anyone know if I can pick this color up at a NAPA store in an aerosol can?

See picture of my cracked skeg…this is the color I need. Thanks for any help with finding a color match in an aerosol!

url=http://postimg.org/image/iy4x4sm2b/full/][/url]

danblue

image hosting

Mumbles

Replies: 5764
    Topics: 298

There’s at least two sources for the proper OMC paint but it won’t match your 58 year old faded paint on your motor. It’s probably best to go car watching at the mall and find a car with the same color paint. Note the make, model and year and have an auto paint shop mix you up a rattle can of it. They can also add agents to tint and flatten the paint to help it match your original.

beerman57

Replies: 596
    Topics: 126

That looks pretty close to my ’62’ Evinrude 10hp blue. I went to NAPA and got Dupli-color light blue metallic, I think this is napa’s number-BGM0539

danblue

Thank you for the responses! I just googled the NAPA Dupli-color blue metallic and I can tell by the pictures from the NAPA website that this is a perfectly fine match!!..If it’s not exact, it is sure close from what I can tell!!

As this part of the engine gets a bit worn/discolored pretty quickly from being in the water, etc..It doesn’t matter too much to me if it’s not an exact match.

Now if I left this lower housing gear box in the Johnson red, it would ceetainly not look near as good as a "kinda close" colored blue.

Thanks!

lloyd

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 453
    Topics: 4

Beware that most Duplicolor aerosol paints are NOT fuel resistant.

Steve A W

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 761
    Topics: 52

Danblue
    After the lower is rebuilt, take the skeg portion to a paint supplier and have it matched.
    Remember as Loyd said make it fuel proof.

Good Luck with Your project!

Steve A W

Member of the MOB chapter.
    I live in Northwest Indiana

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

If it were me, I would buy from here….

http://www.nymarine.ca/index.html

or here……

http://www.effenaco.com/store/home.php

for fuel resistant, trusted paint. Just my 2 cents. Use an appropriate, matching self etching primer as well, or your paint job will just fall off. ENSURE the gearcase is CLEAN! Wash well with soap/water, then something like acetone, then paint right away, and follow instructions for primer and paint intervals.

danblue

Wow..that reprotint website looks great..I’ll give them a call tomorrow. Where can I purchase the self etching primer? I want to make sure I get the right stuff.

Thanks guys!

20mercman

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 613
    Topics: 23
    quote Lloyd:

Beware that most Duplicolor aerosol paints are NOT fuel resistant.

I have had very good luck with Duplicolor automotive aerosol lacquer paints and then overcoat with Duplicolor automotive clear lacquer. Wet sand with 1500 and the finish is very nice and durable. Have been exposed to fuels many times and no issues to date. Also Duplicolor engine enamel is heat, and oil/fuel "resistant". I don’t think that anything short of imron is fuel "proof".

Steve

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.