Home Forum Ask A Member boat oars

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    beezer
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hi I have an Aluma Craft boat that is 14 feet long and 52 inches wide and was wondering what would be the correct oar length. Can anyone shed any light on this subject before I buy a set? Thanks for any impute. Mark

mercuryman
      Participant

7 foot as per West Marine

westwind
        Participant

Canada Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I think the original oars were aluminum. (I would love to find an original set for mine.)

ggoldy
          Participant

Mercuryman has it at 7′. That’s 1/2 the beam X 3, plus just a little. But, I find that formula to be a little short for me. If you buy them too long, you can always overlap the handles. Not too hard to get used to that. But it’s very awkward to spread them wider.

mercuryman
            Participant

Shaw & Tenney Oar Length Formula for Correctly Fitted Oars
              Inboard length of the loom equals ½ the span between the oarlocks + 2″
              Total length of oar equals 1/7 of inboard length multiplied by 25
              Distance from the center of leather to end of grip equals 7/25 of the total length of the oar
              Oars measured according to this formula will have a leverage ratio of 7:18.
              Measuring oars drawing
              – See more at: http://www.woodenboat.com/choosing-prop … ewkIE.dpuf

West Marine rounded it to 7 feet

reivertom
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Who knew there was even such a thing as an "Oar Length Formula" ? This is why I love this website!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.