Home Forum Ask A Member “BRAND NEW” 1986 Mercury 4 HP ?????

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Harmattan1
    Participant

Fleetwin, I have a question. I received a part of a replacement carb just over a week ago and I was starting to put the carb parts together this evening. A guy sold me the one half of the carb body that holds the float and it came with the eyelets intact and overall in pretty good condition. I did not notice at first but there is a difference between the half he sent me and my original half. The one he sent me has a circular piece inside of the tube where the butterfly valves sit. This circle has 3 bars that go in towards the center of the circle only to join at another circular element. It looks like a circle within a larger circle. I think this is a set of tubes that allow air and fuel to mix. The problem is the emulsifying tube that fits down inside of the hole where the float sits will not seat far enough into that hole. The emulsifying tube I have is about 2 1/2″ long and extends down into the tube where both butterfly valves sit inside. It extends just over halfway into the larger tube where the butterfly valves sit. The emulsifying tube also is hollow in the center which allows fuel to go through it into the chamber where the butterflies are. Also, there are three small holes just below the threads on the side of the shaft of the emulsifier. These three holes sit below the threads and above a part of the shaft that looks like a seat. It is almost like the size of a washer as far as thickness goes and the 3 holes sit just above that and below the threads. I think the widened part acts like a seat perhaps to seal or seat the brass emulsifier against the tube where the butterflies sit. I don’t know the minute differences between the different carbs are concerned but this one circular piece that is inside of the butterfly tube of the replacement carb prevents my emulsifying tube from going all the way down into the opening it screws into. What would you recommend I do at this point? Is there a modification I can do so that I don’t have to send this part back to the guy I got it from?

billw
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I know this is Fleetwin’s question but I will get out ahead of it a little bit for him…..What engine is this carb supposed to fit? The 4hp of the original post in this thread, or something else?

Long live American manufacturing!

fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I know this is Fleetwin’s question but I will get out ahead of it a little bit for him…..What engine is this carb supposed to fit? The 4hp of the original post in this thread, or something else?

Supply some pictures also….

Harmattan1
          Participant

Sorry for the confusion., I am rebuilding a Johnson 5.5 HP 1955 CD 12. My carb needed the section replaced that holds the float in place. The problem is the replacement carb half I received has a round piece in the tube area inside where the butterfly valves are at. My carb has an emulsion brass tube screws into the carb in the center below where my float sits. It goes down into that area and into the tube where the butterflies are at. The emulsion tube won’t go all the way down into the carb half sent to me because there is a round tubular piece that has 3 small straight tubes that go towards the center of itself where they meet another circular tube. I suspect it is some kind of emulsion piece itself, I’m not sure. All I know is that my carb did not have that piece and my emulsion brass tube will not go into the carb body because it is blocked by this circular tube piece. I will try to take pics and post but someone may recognize from my description. I hope that helps clarify.

billw
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Hmmm, have you got a 3 hp upper carb body?

Long live American manufacturing!

fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Pictures please…

Viewing 6 posts - 21 through 26 (of 26 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.