Home Forum Ask A Member Brooklure 500 Starter Timing

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    drifter
    Participant

Finishing up on a 1958 Brooklure 500 (5hp). The starter employs the nylon pawl and the pulley is timed to the starter housing. The pulley is marked with a timing mark “J” for Johnson and a different timing mark with “E” for Evinrude. Any recommendations on which timing mark to use on the Brooklure? Or, does it really matter that much.
      Thanks,
      Drifter

• This topic was modified 5 years ago by Mumbles.
      garry-in-michigan
      Participant

Lifetime Member

0203820 is not an Evinrude number so I would try Johnson. (I don’t have a Johnson price book) the idea is that pulling the rope extends the pawl and at that point in should be close to engaging the flywheel. The engineers assumed the motor would stop with both pistons half way down the cylinders.
        Brooklure-Delux-Pg.-17

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

My actual experience is that it doesn’t make a whole whale of a difference. The difference is in how far the rope comes out before the pawl grabs the flywheel (on the average).

fisherman6
          Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I have never had very good luck getting this timing right by lining up marks while replacing the starter cord on these elliptical starters. What I have done with much more success is make sure I have extra cord on the pulley when I replace it. Tie a temporary knot in the cord to hold the pull handle on. Assemble the starter onto the powerhead. Give the rope a pull and let the engine come to rest in its natural position. Clamp or hold the cord and move the handle into position. Mark the cord at the position where the end of the pull handle should be. Gently pull out enough cord to work with and clamp it so it cannot retract into the rewind. Fasten the pull handle in the marked position while the rope is clamped so it isn’t trying to pull out of your hands. Trim off the excess cord and remove the clamp. Now it should engage the flywheel with just a minimal pull on the cord. This makes the motor easier to start in the boat and reduces the chances of damaging the plastic pawl by not allowing it to fully engage the flywheel before giving it a yank to start the motor.
            -Ben

OldJohnnyRude on YouTube

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.