Home Forum Ask A Member Buccaneer missing reed shim or not

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    seahuntboater
    Participant

I am finally getting my carb on 5hp Buccaneer back together. According to the old outboard diagram It shows 2 shims between the reeds. i only have one and I am wondering if the previous owner lost one, etc. Is there a feeler gauge I can use between the dimpled one and the flat to determine what it should be or is the documention just saying shims because it could be one or two or three.

This motor was burning lots of fuel. i figured I would clean the carb and try adjusting as a first step but am wondering if this reed situation could also be a problem?

the model of engine is. Buccaneer Outboard Motor Section. model is 5D10B. Made by Gale a division of OMC. 1951 to 1954

Any help is appreciated.

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I looked this up not long ago. According to the Gale service manual, the shims were selected at the factory. Put ’em back like you found them.

seahuntboater
        Participant

Excellent! Thanks Frank. Already done. When you looked this up did you learn anything about spacing? I figure reeds need to stay shut gently and it is more about the amount of force from the crankcase needed to open and shut them? Measuring that would probably need some kind of force gauge.

Ralph

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Without going back to the book, I seem to remember it says they were set with some kind of gage. Probably air pressure, I would imagine. Anyhoo, I’ve never seen them give any trouble, even if tampered with.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.