Home Forum Ask A Member bypass cover for a Johnson AD-10

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    todd281
    Participant

I am working on this AD-10 outboard and have decided to change it, for now to a single line fuel system. I know that I can plug one of the holes in the check valve that is located in the reed plate, and use that port for the pulse to a fuel pump. However I was pondering if a bypass cover was made, for another motor, that would have the mounting holes to accept a fuel pump, and fit on this 7,5 HP. This would place the pump under the cowl neatly, and forgo using a extra pulse line. Anyone have a part #, or seen such a animal in captivity? Thanks

fleetwin
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

First, I think you must plug one of the hole, but then remove the other check valve, so the pump will get both negative and positive pulses….
        I don’t think there is another engine with a bypass cover that will fit the 7.5hp, unfortunately. You might take one of the covers to a welding shop and have them build up the surface of the outstide of the bypass cover so it is flush with the outer edge. This way, you can drill the two holes that are threaded for mounting, and you can drill a third hole directly through the cover for the pulse, then mount the small pump using the standard fuel pump gasket, just like on later style engines….

frankr
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I used to make fuel pump adapter plates, but gave it up for lack of interest. Help yourself to the idea.

Fuel-pump-on-7.5-motor

Fuel-pump-on-18hp-1959

todd281
          Participant

yup i think i will take a stab at making a adapter , I bought a replacement powerhead so I will have 2 “extra” by-pass covers. I also have the ability to weld aluminum here in the shop so I will toy with it. I just thought maybe there was one OME . No seance in reinventing the wheel. Thanks and I’m off to the workbench..

todd281
            Participant

frankr, if you could tell me, were your adapters bolted over the bypass cover just put a hole in it , or did you remove the OME cover and bolt directly to the block?

chris-p
              Participant

You leave the bypass cover on.

I like to fill the void with JB Weld, before installing a plate.

frankr
                Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Yep, leave cover on and make a gasket to go between cover and adapter plate. Fill the void with JB. Doesn’t have to be a perfect fill, you are just getting rid of the big air pocket. Sand the whole surface flat for a good gasket seal.

10hp-pump-kit

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

Frank Robb used to sell an adaptor plate that hod holes that let you use longer bypass cover screws to fasten it to the motor. The plate was drilled and tapped the accept the standard pump. The only modification to the engine was the drill through the center hole so the pump could pick up the pulses. . .

todd281
                    Participant

sounds good thanks for all the info, I will make one as suggested that way if I ever get the pressure tank fixed, I can just remove this and put on the un-modified cover. Now if I could just find some match for “Holiday bronze” paint that’s not 20 bucks a spray can .

RICHARD A. WHITE
                      Participant

Lifetime Member

What is wrong with the pressure tank?

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
                        classicomctools@gmail.com

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 20 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.