Home Forum Ask A Member Cam oiler wick

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    wiscoboater
    Participant

Can someone please post a picture of the proper placement of the cam oiler wick and the clip it goes into for an OMC mag. Motor I’m working on is a 1970 Evinrude 25, but I’m sure it’s the same for many of the 2 cylinder motors. The exploded views in the parts diagrams do not really show this in detail.

Thank you,
      Jeff

Mumbles
      Participant

I couldn’t find any photos of the clip or a bare mag plate but this one might help.

The wick fits thru a slot in the clip and then it is pressed onto one of the coil mounting towers which is shaped to accept it. It fits under the top cylinders coil at the front of the mag plate on the universal mag plates.

I’ll get some decent photos the next time I work on a mag.

Do you need the clip Jeff?

Attachments:

wiscoboater
        Participant

That helps loads Mumbles. At least I have a good idea now. When I stripped the mag down for cleaning and rebuild, I found it laying in the bottom. Out of all the 18, 20, 25’s I’ve worked on this is the first one I found that still had the clip. It must be one of those things alot of guys just toss when changing parts. I’ll pull the coil back out and investigate farther. Thank you!

Mumbles
          Participant

I keep forgetting to install it during a coil change. I get all caught up in the moment and then get that duh feeling when I see it laying on the bench after the job is done. 😕 Or almost done.

david-bartlett
            Participant

Jeff,

Here are a couple pics. I used a piece of scotcbrite pad in place of the wick for demo purpose.

Attachments:

wiscoboater
              Participant

Thanks David, Now it makes sense. Such a simple little part, but without seeing it in use it’s a tough one to figure out as far as placement. The bad part is I have to take the whole thing apart to put it in…DOH!!!

crosbyman
                Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

don’t loose it that clip is worth a fortune

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

david-bartlett
                  Participant
                    quote wannabe outboard guy:

Thanks David, Now it makes sense. Such a simple little part, but without seeing it in use it’s a tough one to figure out as far as placement. The bad part is I have to take the whole thing apart to put it in…DOH!!!

Yep,

I have had to do that too. More than once.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.