Home Forum Ask A Member Can a Hard Pull be remedied for an old man?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    paulfromyork
    Participant

I have a 12 hp Gale, and the last time I was out, I had some trouble starting it. My little 12 ft. Tinny has a walnut shell paint job on the bottom. Very good for traction. Very bad for old knees. I had road rash on them for several weeks!

Is there any way to modify an old twin cylinder with a compression release? Or how about an electric start? I’d rather it be easier to pull!
      (Yes, I could just kneel on an old towel, but a compression release would be more fun!)

frankr
      Participant

US Member

Model number of your Gale is??? Some can be fitted with electric start, some not.

dave-bernard
        Participant

US Member

I have a real nice 18 HP evenrude electric if needed.

jcrigan
          Participant

This is where you start inviting younger people on your outings. Give them the thrill of starting and running the old motors.

jw-in-dixie
            Participant

I have the same problem – tore rotator cuff on my pulling shoulder. Thought of a custom larger rope sheave screwed to the wheel. Have not been out this year. 🙁

paulfromyork
              Participant

Dave B, I have a 12 ft tinny! The 12 is already 2 over. 18 would be 8 over. And the thing might not float for very long.

So, compression release not possible?

frankr
                Participant

US Member

Anything is possible if you have enough money to have something custom manufactured. But no, there is no stock off-the-shelf compression relief system for that motor.

Still waiting for the model number.

garry-in-michigan
                  Participant

Lifetime Member

The oval rope sheave is a little easier to pull as it has greater leverage when going against compression. It would require changing the flywheel and starter housing assembly. . .

garry-in-michigan
                    Participant

Lifetime Member

On the other hand, I had a neighbor with a 16′ Wolverine powered by a Sportfour with a simplex starter. He installed a steering bar and remote controls. He extended the starter rope through a series of pulleys along the keel to a pulley under the forward deck back down to a pulley on the end of a hinged board and anchored back under the deck. The weight of the board was countered by a door spring. It wasn’t pretty, but he cranked the motor by stepping on the board . . . 😎

eviltwin
                      Participant

Drill, baby, drill…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y4QJBUOaS0

Only would be feasable if you can easily remove the shroud & recoil or on older motors that have the sheave/flywheel nut exposed.

Or if you really don’t like your feet:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2OLFu-4PwsA

I am not responsible for any injury or damage. 😀

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 19 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.