Home Forum Ask A Member Can a Hard Pull be remedied for an old man?

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    seakaye12
    Participant

US Member

There were Electric Start Gale/Sea King motors 12HP. If you can post your model number it will help determine if your particular 12HP can be retro-fitted assuming you can find the parts.

Here’s one in my neck of the woods…..
      https://offerup.com/item/detail/453479219/

Chuck

2fast4me
      Participant

Evil twin, i wonder if that flywheel still has prior torque? Garry-i asked the question if a kick start could be implemented for an engine test stand and you posted the same response then (your memory is holding up rather well sir). I still need to develop a solution. This reply may not help Paul though.

2Fast4Me

paulfromyork
        Participant
          quote FrankR:

Anything is possible if you have enough money to have something custom manufactured. But no, there is no stock off-the-shelf compression relief system for that motor.

Still waiting for the model number.

MODEL # 66-9016A I think it’s a ’54.

bobw
          Participant

US Member

Maybe GG-9016A? A 1954-55 Sea King model?

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
            1954 Johnson CD-11
            1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
            1958 Johnson QD-19
            1958 Johnson FD-12
            1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
            "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

frankr
            Participant

US Member

Not a good candidate. First, you would need a different flywheel. Then you would need a different recoil starter. Then the different recoil may not work on the cylinder block. Then the integral gas tank gotta go. Later style cowlings might not work(???). And then there is all the gotchas that I’m not thinking about.

frankr
              Participant

US Member

Get yourself a 9.9hp Evinrude or Johnson with factory electric start. But NOT a 1974-76 lemon.

paulfromyork
                Participant

Thanks for all the thoughts and help. Garry, I am interested in the "Rube Goldberg" starter you mentioned. I don’t really NEED a boat or a motor. I’ve only fished several times in my whole life. These are toys! But what fun toys! I am the type of guy that might have come up with the 6 pulley remote starter on my own if I had thought of it. Oh, to be younger and stronger again.

PugetSoundBoater
                  Participant

Wow! I sure as heck would not use the kick start method shown in the YouTube video of the Yamaha, especially in the water.

"Some people want to know how a watch works, others just want to know what time it is"
                    Robbie Robertson

auldscott
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

It might be a little tricky in your 12 foot tinny, but I know it can be done. Stand with one foot aft of the rear seat and one foot forward. Lean sideways toward the motor and grab the starter handle with both hands. Simultaneously and somewhat forcefully, lean toward the bow and pull with both arms. Your legs do most of the work.

Not good if you have a bad back that can’t handle any twisting at all but there is not a lot of twisting involved.

Viewing 9 posts - 11 through 19 (of 19 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.