Home Forum Ask A Member Can some one help ID a 3.6 HP?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    tycooper
    Participant

I was hoping some one could help me ID a 3.6 HP I have. I thought it was an older Scott but when I took the tank off the flywheel was much different than I was expecting. It looks like a Chrysler flywheel to me but I am not totally sure. I cannot find any numbers or markings on it. The motor is mostly white so does any one know what the brand is? Also, does any one know how to determine the year given the type of flywheel?

Any help is appreciated.

frankr
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

For sure, it is a Scott. My guess is around 1959-ish

tycooper
        Participant

Thanks, can you tell from the tank or color what the brand would have been? I know scott made outboards for a bunch of different companies but do not know of a white one (although my knowledge is limited).

outbdnut2
          Participant

It is a Scott-produced motor. Could be one they produced as a private label, like Firestone, Corsair, etc. I haven’t taken enough of those apart to know differences in the flywheels. I have five or six waiting my attention, but priority is low compared to motors I like better.
            Dave

dave-bernard
            Participant

Elgin sears maybe in white.

frankr
              Participant

Scott Atwater or Scott-McCulloch “Scotty”.. Late 1950’s-Early 1960’s Yes they were white.
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHMdzAmGs_A

garry-in-michigan
                Participant

Lifetime Member

Frank nailed it ! Bob McCulloch outsourced the carburetors and magnetos so it is not unusual to see radical changes their, but there is no mistaking that classic Scott Atwarer lower unit.

jeff-register
                  Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Garry,
                    I have a 3.6hp white one too except mine has full shift (Scott) lower unit . Never looked close at it as it came in a trade. Same gearcase & shafts as a 5hp Firestone.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.