Home Forum Ask A Member Cant reply to “1954 Evinrude 15hp starter”

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    johnyrude200
    Participant

Here is what I tried to post:

May I give you all a piece of advice as a former
      physiologist and professional coach. Instead of fussing with any of these motors smaller than a BIGTWIN. Take an electric battery drill gun you can find at any hardware big box chain, buy the 20V version such as RYOBI (about $80 bucks), switch it to the high torque mode (they have a speed and torque setting), spend $2 at walmart to buy a hex bit, and use the drill gun on the flywheel nut as an electric starter. Let me say the older BLUE model RYOBI drill guns are substantiallu better than the current GREEN ones. Ebay sells them cheaply; the batteries are what cost money.

I started doing this 5 years ago on any motor where the drill gun will handle the stress. This works in general on any OMC 22 c.i. or smaller from my experience.

I processed 35 motors over a 2-day period last week and only pulled over 3 by rope because they had powerheads bigger than 22 c.i. My shoulder still feels fine 🙂

Make sure you put your free hand on the base of the drill gun to minimize the kickback initially when you pull the trigger otherwise you might hurt your wrist. The high torque mode of battery drill guns will twist it right out of your grip overboard depending on how strong your grip is, or possibly hurt your wrist.

I do recommend trying this slowly – pull the trigger slowly – until you understand what I am talking about. Once you do, you wont go back to trying start any of the old motors without a drill gun. Even rowboat motors or any of the old iron with exposed flywheel nuts – just use a battery powered drill gun where applicable. Of course in a test barrel/tank where you have access to an outlet, just use your favorite electric drill gun for more power. Same philosophy applies to fogging motors too. If it’s a small motor use the high speed low torque setting and you dont have to worry about injury in general.

The nice thing about this is your cranking speed is generally going to be faster and constantso with magnetos you should know right away if your ignition is correct or wrong, and if you are doing an initial carburetor calibration you can play with your needle settings after a pop or fart until it is running on it’s own without having to pull and pull and pull in frustration. Most the time a manual starter is going to give about 3 turns of the flywheel on a pull. So on a cold motor the first pull or two just gets a fuel charge into the cylinder(s), the 3rd pull igniting the charge. If it doesnt happen with a drill gun after 2 seconds YOU AINT STARTING IT BY HAND.

I mean – when the settings, ignition, and fuel systems are set up right all of these motors should start on 3 pulls cold…….

RICHARD A. WHITE
      Participant

Lifetime Member

Your post was there, it was just hidden. Why was it hidden???? No clue, Travis may have an answer though..

Cheers
        Richard

http://www.richardsoutboardtools.com
        classicomctools@gmail.com

seakaye12
        Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Sorry johnnyrude200; the website’s software caught your post as “spam”. It is an issue that the “Paid Professional Web Team” is aware of and is currently working on. These are the people that AOMCI is paying to bring the Website up to standards. We are confident that in time these issues will diminish and go away.

I have restored your post. I can see that you have posted the same thing three times in your attempt to get it on the forum. Sorry man.

Chuck

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.