Home Forum Ask A Member carb adjustment on OMC 18 hp

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    opposedtwin
    Participant

US Member - 2 Years
      quote FrankR:

Hm.m.m.m, fuel dripping out of the carburetor and won’t fire when you squirt more in. Sounds to me like it is TOO MUCH fuel. Called flooding.

that’s agreed, frank. that’s why I’m taking the carb apart.

right now i need to take my kids to watch fireworks! happy birthday America!

wedgie
      Participant

Don’t spray the mix in the carb throat, rather, take the plugs out and shoot some in there . Replace the plugs and give it a go.

Happy 4th to our big brother down south!

chris-p
        Participant

The initial static settings on these are 1.5 from seated for the low, and 3/4 for the high. I find after water adjustments with a load on the exhaust they usually end up around 1 to 1.25 on the low and 1/2 on the high, or there abouts.

The o ring for the nozzle is different than the ones you use on your RDs.

Very often you can simply dress the points, clean and re install. But only to a point, eventually they have to be thrown out. You have just been lucky so far.

jcrigan
          Participant

On the points, did you test the contact resistance after you cleaned them? They should test at less than 1 ohm and closer to zero if possible. I have had new points that tested at infinity and needed cleaning before they could be used.

opposedtwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

here are a couple pics of the magneto. pretty sure this is a spark issue since I took the carb apart and found no issues. I know it’s hard to tell from a picture but do you see anything out of the ordinary? I changed the condensers when I changed the coils 3 years ago. the motor has sat since being run after the new parts were installed. points were not replaced and so I cleaned them up and re-set to .020. now I’m having trouble getting one set to be still when re-tightening after setting to .020. as I tighten the anchor screw, the points seem to wander.

on one of the coil heel sets, it’s looks like there may be a bit of rubbing. it is ever so slightly proud of the boss. I will fix that and align it properly.

also, the contact points themselves are either aligned or not, correct? there is no adjusting them as they are riveted at the factory, right?

please let me know your thoughts.

wedgie
              Participant
                quote opposedtwin:

here are a couple pics of the magneto. pretty sure this is a spark issue since I took the carb apart and found no issues. I know it’s hard to tell from a picture but do you see anything out of the ordinary? I changed the condensers when I changed the coils 3 years ago. the motor has sat since being run after the new parts were installed. points were not replaced and so I cleaned them up and re-set to .020. now I’m having trouble getting one set to be still when re-tightening after setting to .020. as I tighten the anchor screw, the points seem to wander.

on one of the coil heel sets, it’s looks like there may be a bit of rubbing. it is ever so slightly proud of the boss. I will fix that and align it properly.

also, the contact points themselves are either aligned or not, correct? there is no adjusting them as they are riveted at the factory, right?

please let me know your thoughts.

Make sure the thin washer is present under the anchor screw.Tighten the screw before you adjust the points.

wedgie
                Participant

Setting the points was discussed in this thread here in the green boards.

https://www.aomci.org/members/discboard/ … 86846.html

chris-p
                  Participant

Yeah, I never loosen the anchor screw to set the points. No need to, will adjust fine tight.

fleetwin
                    Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I wouldn’t worry too much about the color of the spark. But, it should be able to jump a 1/4" gap while cranking, have you tried that?
                      Looking at your pictures, I am worried that one of the coil primary leads might be rubbing on the point cam, the condenser leads are positioned too high as well, although they don’t look like the flywheel has been hitting them. Have you cleaned the points, then sprayed the open contacts with brake clean/electric clean spray?

opposedtwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

FOR PETE"S SAKE!!!!!
                        I feel like a moron. it was spark plugs! I overlooked them because they were new–three years ago. I made the mistake of starting from the wrong end of the spark issue. I went right into the mag and should have started on the plug end just like the manuals and all the experienced guys say to do. it literally started on the first pull. now to get this one on the water and keep it there!

thanks for your patience and all your help guys!

scott-trying hard not to feel like a jack ass-braaten

Viewing 10 posts - 11 through 20 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.