Home Forum Ask A Member Carb packing washers

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    willyboy
    Participant

I’m currently working on an old md-39 1.1hp engine and after carb disassembly found the packing washer around the fuel needle has fallen apart. It was so far gone I couldn’t even say what it was made of at one time. I’d like to make some new ones and was going to use cork/rubber 1/16" gasket material from napa to make a replacement. Would this be an acceptable material or is there something else out there that would be better? Maybe thicker?

chris-p
      Participant

I use hole punches to make my own packing. Doesn’t matter if too thin, as you can stack them. Just don’t want a material that will crumble when you thread the needle in.

willyboy
        Participant

Thanks Chris,just got a new set of gasket punches off the bay,they should work well for that.Going to go with what I got and the 1/16" cork/rubber looks like is what i’ll use and i’ll stack 2 together.

frankr
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Do as you feel best, but I suspect that cork stuff is going to be too mooshey to hold up. I’d use gasket material as they did back in the day. Truthfully, I often use leather (an old belt) for a really good packing that holds up. But it’s a PITA to work with.

willyboy
            Participant

FrankR the other stuff I have is Karropak #3047 1/16" fiber gasket material,i didn’t have enuf of the old packing washer left to tell what it was made of it was so destroyed. I’ll try the leather also just to see how it works even if its a pain to work with. It seems I spend 1/2 hour taking taking something apart and 3 days looking for something to repair it with lol.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.