Home Forum Ask A Member Carb plugs

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    wiscoboater
    Participant

Hello all,
      When rebuilding the carburetors on my 50’s J/E motors whats the best way to remove the metal plugs without damaging the carb body.
      Also, when installing the new plugs, any sealer used on them?

dan-in-tn
      Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

I have ground a short pointed punch. That way when it goes thru it will not damage the bottom of the cal pocket. I go in at the center. If need be then a small screw driver can be used to pry the core plug out.
        Best sealer I have found is finger nail polish. I prefer clear as it doesn’t show. It is fuel proof, cheap, readily available, and easy to apply. I use it lots of places where I need a fuel, proof sealer. Acetone will remove it.

Dan in TN

lloyd
        Participant

If it’s not broke, why fix it? I have very very rarely found anything wrong with the low speed mixture passages on the 50’s OMC’s. Sometimes the float bowl gasket is swollen and blocking the hole, or mixture needle damaged, but fuel drains downhill, so it doesn’t collect in the top of the carb. Granted I only work on fresh water motors, but why not just check the circuit before ripping out the welsh plug?
          Remove the low speed mixture needle and the float bowl. Open the throttle valve so you can see the small orifices in the top of the carb throat/venture (2 or 3 depending on model). Plug the hole from the float bowl with your thumb while blasting carb cleaner down the needle hole. Then plug the needle hole with your thumb while blasting carb cleaner into the hole in the float bowl flange that leads to the low speed orifices. If you can see carb cleaner spraying out the orifices into the carb throat, the circuit is AOK and not plugged up. No need to remove the welsh plug.

jerry-ahrens
          Participant

Agreed, I don’t think I’ve ever found any debris under the welsh plug either. I do normally remove and check it anyway, just out of habit. Originally Gasoila sealer was used in sealing that area. It’s good stuff, but expensive and has a short shelf life. I’m not sure it’s even available anymore. If the plug is installed properly, you won’t need any sealer. But again out of habit I use a tiny amount of Jb Weld around the top edge of the plug after it’s installed. If you need to remove it, the JB will come loose with the old welsh plug. I use a 3/16 drill bit to carefully gain access, then use a round pin punch to pry it out. Be careful you don’t damage the carb body with the drill. Take your time.

wiscoboater
            Participant

I just assumed because the plug came with the kit it should be replaced. Now I don’t feel so guilty about the 40 or 50 I have not changed in the past.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.