Home Forum Ask A Member Carburetor float sealant

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Swarlos
    Participant

Hey folks, I’m working on my grandfather’s Johnson 5hp AT39. The float seems to be in good condition, but whatever was put on as a sealant is flaking off. I just finished cleaning the carb out so I don’t want to have to do it again soon. What do you guys recommend to reseal the cork float? I’ve seen people say SealAll or epoxy so far.

lyks2tinkr
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

After you clean off any flaking coating you can recoat it fuel proof model airplane dope.
        Drys fast a light weight.
        I think its called Aero gloss.

Swarlos
        Participant

Ok, thanks

reivertom
          Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Some people swear by coating them in super glue. I’ve never tried it, but I’ve read about folks using it. I’d research a bit more before I tried.

aquasonic
            Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

If this motor has a similar carburetor to a “T” series motor, then the best solution, by far, is to replace the float with a modified Mercury float. Then you will have a modern plastic float that is fuel resistant.

I have read many of these threads on coatings for cork floats, and for every product that gets recommended, someone has a negative experience. Some of the problems with coatings may be due to a lack of curing time, and/or lack of preparation.

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by aquasonic.
              stanley
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

The easiest thing to do is recoat with shellac and use ethanol free gas.Member “Tubs” has posted results of his experiment,of several years,that shows no difference in coated and uncoated cork floats in antique outboards.

leeinnh
                Participant

well, as y’all know, shellac was the original coating. Ethanol seems to eat through everything.

The Aero Gloss clear hot fuel proof dope is available at hobby stores. I have used that for

2 decades on my 3 hp omc motors with good luck. now there is a carb kit that comes with

the plastic float replacement.

Swarlos
                  Participant

The float is just a 1″ diameter cylinder that is 1″ tall with a vertical pin through the center. Luckily I’m still able to get ethanol free gas in my area, so that’s what I’ll be using.

There are carb kits available for this motor? What’s included?

crosbyman
                    Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

Sounds like you can use a Mercury motor float by altering it a bit by drilling a hole top to bottom

the rest is mostly a good soak & clean and blow out of all passages

see pic

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

• This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by crosbyman.
                      • This reply was modified 3 years, 6 months ago by crosbyman.
                      Swarlos
                      Participant

Thanks for the info. On a related note, the check valve screw is super tight and I can’t back it out without stripping the head. Is it safe to use an impact screw driver to try to get it out or am I likely to damage the carburetor? Can anyone recommend a screw driver that actually fits? The wide head slotted screwdrivers all seem to be too thick in the blade to fit.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 16 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.