Home Forum Ask A Member CD-10 5.5hp Johnson and Sierra Carb kit

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    drifter
    Participant

I would strongly advise against using a Chinese “rebuild” kit.

20200707_133015

• This reply was modified 3 years, 9 months ago by Mumbles.
      crosbyman
      Participant

Canada Member - 2 Years

very convincing….I just did none a week ago…:-( so the inlet needle fitting threads don’t fit,, the gasket melts

Joining AOMCI has priviledges 🙂

Mumbles
        Participant

I’ve installed a few of the offshore carb kits but haven’t checked the bowl gaskets yet. Gulp! Maybe I’ll get lucky by always using non ethanol fuel. The float valve seat has the correct thread pitch but they aren’t cut deep enough and need to be chased.

Steve D
          Participant

I always wondered what that big fat o-ring was for, too. Maybe it was for a carb that was even before MY ancient time? Looking at the picture, I can’t now help but wonder if it is the same as a shift shaft o-ring……not that it would be it’s purpose in a carb kit….

Good question…Does anyone know what that round rubber donut gasket is for, I have a collection of them also… That Sierra kit must be very inexpensive, not much to it… I do my best to avoid Chinese stuff at all costs, but it is near impossible to avoid….Don’t get me started….

Drifter, That’s incredible! Thanks for posting. With some parts, when I’ve had to, I’ve resorted to using used OMC parts rather than new Chinese parts. I do love their spare ribs, just not their outboard parts.

As for the big fat donut o-ring/gasket…I think I remember a fat o-ring like that in the ’53 Johnson 10 horse carb. (I think some may have had an actual seal instead). I know the kit doesn’t apply to that year, but I checked my parts manual for the number (part 72 – 302832) then searched to find a picture of it, and it looks like it could be the same as in the kit. Maybe someone who’s got a QD-14 carb apart and that carb kit could verify it. Might be in the earlier QDs also.

1953-Johnson-10-HP-carb

1953-Johnson-10-HP-carb-part-72

1953-Johnson-10-HP-carb-part-302832

drifter
            Participant

Tubs, carb was done a year ago. I pulled the engine off the rack to run it last week but noticed a drip stain from the carb. Investigated and this is what I found.
              I run ethanol gasoline. Bad news.

phil
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Keith,

Welcome aboard!!

Phil

http://www.omc-boats.org
                http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

sutterhome
                Participant

black gaskets dissolve in a day or less, also brass needle valve seat wrong thread size. test all parts in gas for a day or so…china mostly trash… has been from day one

Viewing 7 posts - 11 through 17 (of 17 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.