Home Forum Ask A Member CD13 water pump issues

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    makeitrun
    Participant

I have recently put together a Johnson CD13 rebuilt power head, new seal kit, and impeller. The motor fired up after a couple of pulls, and runs very good except it doesn’t pump water. I have removed the power head 3 times trying to figure it out everything checks out good with the lower unit, and power head nothing is clogged I am stumped.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Doug Wilson
      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

make sure the water in the tank is well above the intake up closerto the exhaust these pumps do not self prime so needs tobe higher than you would think
        also if it has a thermostat make sure it is opening
        Doug

Doug

how is it motors multiply when the garage lights get
        turned off?

Mumbles
        Participant

I see you are in Florida so there is a chance this motor has been used in salt water?

One weak link in the chain in the cooling systems of these motors is in the area of the upper water tube grommet. They tend to corrode in this area causing a massive internal water leak which can’t be seen while the motor is running. If you pull the tube and the grommet right out, you will see right away if any aluminum is missing. Better yet, plug the water passage right below the power head and apply water or air pressure to the copper water tube to check for leakage. There is a way to fix this problem but that’s another story.

makeitrun
          Participant

It’s a northern motor super clean the problem was the water level was not above the impeller she pumps water like a firetruck now. The only problem now is I found the crank seal underneath the power head floating in the water off comes the power head one more time.

fleetwin
            Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Are you sure you are using the correct powerhead base gasket? Are you sure the powerhead and exhaust housing are the same vintage/compatible?
              This can get confusing, and mismatches/wrong gaskets usually lead to overheat problems.

aquasonic
              Participant

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)

Well, the water pump issue could not have had a better outcome!

I can see how the crank seal could fall off easily when reinstalling the powerhead.

If you haven’t replaced that cork crank seal and the o-ring under the powerhead then it would be a good time to do this. That will keep water from getting into the crankcase.

fleetwin
                Participant

US Member - 2 Years

OK, so it sounds like the issue has been resolved??

makeitrun
                  Participant

Yes everything is good now, thanks all for the help.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.