Home Forum Ask A Member Charging 85 hp 1972–upgrade stator?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    amuller
    Participant

I am sort of unclear whether to post this here or in the tech section, but there seems to be more traffic here. Opinions?

OK to the subject: The flywheel alternator on this motor is rated, apparently, at 9 amps. There is an upgrade kit which is rated at either 15 amps or 12 amps depending on where you look.

The motor does not seem to charge much, though I have checked out the stator and replaced the rectifier. Is it worthwhile to upgrade to the higher output stator?

OMC apparently sold a kit including a regulator and an ammeter, but the stator itself is cheap.

Is there an easy way to tell which stator is which?

Thanks.

frankr
      Participant

US Member

I guess you must be needing more charging or you wouldn’t be asking. Just wondering though, why?

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by frankr.
        fleetwin
        Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Me too, don’t ever recall having an issue with the battery CD charging systems…
          Have you put an ammeter inline to check the actual output?
          Keep in mind that there are two other items that tie into the alternator output that could have an effect…
          The shift diodes….These diodes AKA “monkey balls” are tied into the stator to supply current to the shift solenoids so the engine will stay in neutral when the key switch is turned off and the flywheel is still spinning…A quick test is to shut the engine off while at high idle in neutral…If it slams into forward gear before shutting off, there is a problem with the shift diodes…
          This engine also has what is called the “clipper circuit”, which is really just a basic regulator…The clipper circuit kills half the alternator output if it senses high voltage, such as a loose/corroded battery connection…So, if this unit is messed up, you will only get half of the alternator output…But, keep in mind, the clipper might actually be doing its job because it is sensing high voltage!

Again, I never encountered an issue with these 9amp systems not keeping up with basic electrical needs, so I would check the items I have mentioned before investing in an expensive larger output stator…Would love to see any info you have on this kit, don’t remember anything like that being offered…

frankr
          Participant

US Member
            frankr
            Participant

US Member
              fleetwin
              Participant

US Member - 2 Years

I’ll be darned….Wonder why the rectifier is included, couldn’t the old one be reused? Wonder if the original clipper circuit is still used in conjunction with that regulator? Very interesting…

frankr
                Participant

US Member

Not sure about the rectifier, but I assume the original one can’t stand the amperage. Also can’t answer the clipper question—don’t know.

amuller
                  Participant

Yes, that’s the kit I was looking at. And the stator is only $20, so I might order one. There are various rectifier numbers, with varying numbers of leads and some claiming to be “regulated” and some not. Sometimes there is a separate regulator, sometimes not. Is the kit intended to be used with a rectifier, a clipper, and a regulator? Hard to tell without the instruction sheet for the kit. Some sources recommend removing the clipper as doing more harm than good…. Then there is the advice to NOT use sealed batteries, which are pretty much the only type readily available these days. This kind of makes sense when the charging source is unregulated, as water will be boiled out of the battery and not readily replaced.

frankr
                    Participant

US Member

As I understand it, (some) of the aftermarket amplifiers have built-in overvoltage protection so they say the clipper is not needed for those. That’s all I know. Been too many years since I got away from them. Or maybe not enough years?

fleetwin
                      Participant

US Member - 2 Years

Keep us informed if you purchase this kit….Will be interested in the contents, and the instructions!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 22 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.