Charging 85 hp 1972–upgrade stator?

Home Forum Ask A Member Charging 85 hp 1972–upgrade stator?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
    glastron71

Replies: 4
    Topics: 0

Hi. Just found this post. I have a 71 Johnson 125. I am having an issue with the motor running only when I have had the battery charging over night. After about 15 -20 mins it will begins to start missing. The shift diodes and rectifier were bad. I also have a new CDI box. I’ve replaced those with the same issue. The stator checks good. The battery does charge. But only at high rpm’s. I am wondering if this 15 amp stator will work on a 71. I’ve looked up the part number for the 9amp and it’s the same between the years. I can not find an original stator any were. Thanks.

amuller

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 896
    Topics: 142

Sounds to me as if you have a weak battery. If the only draw is the ignition, and the battery is in good condition and fully charged, it should last for a lot longer than 15-20 minutes.

Does your motor have the breakerless ignition or the double-point ignition?

Check the voltage at the feed to the CDI box, and see at what voltage things start to go to pot. Compare that to the voltage at the battery terminals.

In general, my experience is that old motors/boats tend to have rats nest wiring and there might be a high resistance somewhere.

I expect the higher-amp stator would work on your motor, but if you have checked it for shorts and opens it probably isn’t your problem.

I still don’t have mine sorted, because I’m too distracted with other projects to get to it.

glastron71

It’s a new battery. I have 12 volts at the CDI. It doesn’t have points. I have 8 volt ac on both wires off the stator at idle.

glastron71

It also has a hard time starting. I have to jumper the ign wire to the battery wire. If I remove the jumper it dies. But after it been running and remove the jumper it stays running and will start normally.

frankr
    frankr

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 4823
    Topics: 48

glastron71, you are hacking onto another topic. That only causes confusion.

glastron71

glastron71, you are hacking onto another topic. That only causes confusion.

Sorry. Just asking a question related to this topic. Should I start other linking it to this one. Just wanted to know if it would work on a 71. If the stator was the same.

frankr
    frankr

US Member - 1 Year
    Replies: 4823
    Topics: 48

I apologize for being harsh, But yes it is always best to start a new thread so we don’t go running off on some blind alley. But if it helps the two motors in question have different ignition systems. As for stator interchangeability, I’d have to put some research into that.

Anyway, starting is totally dependent on the battery. So a bigger alternator isn’t going to help with that. You are bridging some sort of high resistance with that jumper. Find the resistance and fix that.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.