Chrysler 1966 3.5 HP Model is 3601 need some help getting this apart

Home Forum Ask A Member Chrysler 1966 3.5 HP Model is 3601 need some help getting this apart

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• seahuntboater

Replies: 76
    Topics: 46

Greetings. This motor is in rough shape but I am trying to take it apart to see if it is salvageable. Pretty much every screw I mess with is breaking (using heat and PB and patience). The upper part of the leg is split (all around in a circle) just above the swivel bracket. I was able to get the gear box open and the leg attachment nuts off. The pinion is free and I can move it up and down on the drive shaft but am having trouble removing the lower piece. Here is a pic. Is there a pin or something in there ? Perhaps if the bushing for the prop shaft can come out then the pinion gear will drop out and maybe there is a pin in there? A diagram would sure help a lot.

seahuntboater

here is the pic.

0iMsrN7_SCyTbQsLbHjb8g

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Mumbles.

frankr

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 6715
    Topics: 51

Shoot, that’s just the old 2hp West Bend Elgin / Chrysler / Sea King, etc that has been around forever. There are no secret pins or anything, I’m assuming you have removed the nut #61 from behind the clip #47. Stud #46 is probably corroded and seized in the leg.

EDIT: Take back what I said. There is a circlip #26 around the drive shaft which means the drive shaft has to come down with the gearcase. Perhaps the splines at the upper end are rusted into the crankshaft splines ??

11.-Leg-and-Gear-Housing

10.-Leg-and-Gear-Housing-Parts-List

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by frankr.
    • This reply was modified 4 years ago by frankr.

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737

I have never worked on one of these engines, so am just guessing from the pictures…You mention that the pinion will move up and down on the driveshaft, are you sure? You also mention wish you could remove the prop shaft bushing, which I understand….It would seem as though that bushing is getting in the way of pulling that pinion down and off the driveshaft….But, Frank points out that there is that C clip about the driveshaft that would prevent you from pulling it up and out of the gearcase until it is removed….
    So, I am thinking that there is a way of sneaking that pinion out of there without removing the bushing, perhaps the pinion is stuck somewhat on the driveshaft because I don’t think that bushing is removable……

seahuntboater

Stud nut is off. Yes 26 has got to be in there and is my problem. The housing moves on the stud slightly.
    The pinion does move up and down on the drive shaft easily so I will try wrangling it past the prop shaft bushing too.

Maybe I can bend a pick and get at the Circlip by feel.

thanks Frank and Fleetwin. It is so great to have the knowledge of what is holding these old motors together . As we get excited it is easy to break stuff but i am learning patience and not being afraid to ask a few questions is the way to go.

Ralph

fleetwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 4737

Sounds like you can not get the gearcase off the exhaust housing….But, this should not stop you from removing that pinion gear. You say the pinion moves freely on the driveshaft, so it seems as though it should come off. Is the pinion actually getting jammed on the bushing? With that clip in place I wouldn’t think there were be too much driveshaft movement inside the gearcase, but who knows…Perhaps you need to pull that gearcase down off the stud/exhaust housing, then perhaps the driveshaft will have more end play and it you will be able to move it upwards a bit more so the pinion can be snuck out past the bushing. The driveshaft spline fit into the powerhead limits upward movement of the driveshaft with the gearcase in place on the exhaust housing….
    Again, I have never worked on one of these, but I’m sure normal service procedures do not require removing that clip before the pinion can be removed. Can you see the clip with the pinion and driveshaft all the way down?

dave-bernard

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2014
    Topics: 30

try to remove the power head 6 bolts. that will let you know if the DS is frozen to the crank.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.