Clarke value

Home Forum Ask A Member Clarke value

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

• A Hoskins

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 95
    Topics: 10

My revised edition of the Old Outboard Book lists Clarke Trollers to perhaps be worth from over $300 for a #1 condition motor down to $50 for one in sorry shape. A friend/AOMC member/collector with more than one Clarke suggests that these estimates are on the low side. Any insight regarding this would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

"Fox News" isn't.

dave-bernard

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2016
    Topics: 30

Love to get some for that price.

mercuryman

Replies: 467
    Topics: 167

The revised book copyright is 2002, so its not recent info.

chris-p

Replies: 2456
    Topics: 153

My area they regularly go for $1000 plus. If I had the chance to grab one for 300, I would be all over it!

As stated, the book is older now, and I fell he may be low on some of the other collectable and rare motors. Perhaps. Overall though it is a great guide for rarity between models for comparison.

kees

International Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 516
    Topics: 17

I think that the most price levels in this book are outdated
    Changing times, changing values

ggoldy

Replies: 75
    Topics: 14

I think location is a big part of the value. I’ve seen very few antique motors here in Northwest Florida. A lot of classics, but few antiques. Except for this one guy I met a few weeks ago. He had a bunch! A nice guy. He hooked me up with a few classics for what I would pay for a carton of cigarettes. He taught me a thing or two, as well.

ddoyle

Replies: 55
    Topics: 8

Prices seem pretty reasonable to me and for the most part the market supports them.( unless the item is so in vogue that someone will pay to ship it)

Fact is most antiques only really have "display" value UNLESS alot of time, knowledge and money is given to them (i.e making a useable engine). That can turn a 100 dollar item into a big dollar item pretty quick.

Having dabbled in a host of "antiques" and "collectibles" I am painfully aware that prices are flighty and fashionable has ALOT to do with it.

That said if someone I trusted (like an AOMCI member of repute) had an engine that I was interested in and was able to give me solid intel on it I would be the first to pay a premium to own it but an engine out of someone’s shed is probably worth exactly what Hunn’s book says it is.

Word of warning keep in mind that the interest rates currently do not support people selling stuff and they really support buying. Wait till they hit 10% again see what gems you can buy for a small portion of someone’s mortgage payment.

phil

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 199
    Topics: 19

As said the last edition was from 2002, the other thing is that they are averaged values from a range of sellers, as well as from a range of locations. I have noticed that old outboards are high priced in Calif., presumably because they are used to paying high prices for most other things anyway. Places in the south with hot climates and mainly salt water generally have less motors available which likely has an effect on cost.

In my area, if it’s not running and may be missing some parts, it’s a $50 motor as far as I’m concerned, unless its one I really want badly. Mercs bring more, but they cost a huge amount for parts in comparison to most other motors, with the the possible exception being K1-5 motors. A $50 OMC motor can easily turn into a $300 motor, before you know it.

http://www.omc-boats.org
    http://www.aerocraft-boats.org

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.