Cleaning pressure tank before soldering?

Home Forum Ask A Member Cleaning pressure tank before soldering?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

• david-bartlett

Replies: 1204
    Topics: 97

Today I noticed a pinhole in the bottom of one of my pressure tanks. Metal is good all around the hole, so I think I will solder it up with a patch overlay.

How have any of you cleaned the tanks prior to this kind of repair?

jeff-register

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 1562
    Topics: 54

The radiator shop will vat them clean & even solder them too.

david-bartlett

Where is the adventure in having someone else do it for me?

r-c

Lifetime Member
    Replies: 105
    Topics: 10

One type of repair is to screw in a small self tapping screw, with some sealer. The epoxy two tube stile works good, because of the small amount needed.
    To clean for heat, I have found the so called "super purple’" type cleaners to do well. Gets rid of varnish and other scale. It can remove paint, mostly the spray can type, but will dull the finish of the original enamel baked on paint if not careful.

reivertom

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 790
    Topics: 40

I plugged a hole in my old truck’s gas tank with some 2 part epoxy putty and it held until the truck totally died. I did it all from the outside and would think an inside patch would be even better. Just rough up the area with at least 220 grit before you stick it on.

olcah

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 566
    Topics: 94

I also had great luck bringing the tank to a fellow in Bowdoin Maine who restores antique radiators. The bottom had been hit hard enough with a nozzle that the metal was torn.

david-bartlett

I got it soldered up. Cleaned the metal really well and soldered a little patch over the hole. Primed, painted. Tank is good.

While I had it apart, I noticed the CA glue I used on my float was less than perfect, so I may take the time to get some fuel resistant airplane dope and try that. It could just be that the CA did not have time to cure properly before I used it.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.