Color of 1956 Javelin junction box

Home Forum Ask A Member Color of 1956 Javelin junction box

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)

• Jeffrey Durst

Replies: 30
    Topics: 5

I recently purchased a 1956 Wagemaker with a really nice 1956 Johnson Javelin 30 hp.. It has what I believe to be a model correct 1956 junction box that was painted to match the white that came on the ’56 Javelin. The box is missing the exterior decal but has the interior decal (which looks like it could be original) still in tact on a white background which is slightly different from the white that was on the exterior. I assumed that the box was originally the 1956 Javelin white and so I soda blasted the exterior and painted that color. Today on eBay I saw the same Javelin junction box in what appears to be original condition and it was painted the Holiday Bronze color. I’m intent on putting the motor and the boat back as close to original as humanly possible. Can anyone tell me definitively what color those junction boxes were originally? Also can someone tell me where I can get a good quality reproduction of the 1956 Johnson “Electric Starting” junction box decal? Your expertise is greatly appreciated!

bobw

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2447
    Topics: 56

Maybe there were some that were originally painted the Holiday Bronze, but all the ones I’ve ever seen were originally white. North York Marine has the exterior decal for the box.

http://www.nymarine.ca/JONESBOX.html

Bob

1937 Champion D2C Deluxe Lite Twin
    1954 Johnson CD-11
    1957 Evinrude Fastwin 18
    1958 Johnson QD-19
    1958 Johnson FD-12
    1959 Johnson QD-20

“Every 20 minute job is only a broken bolt away from a 3-day project.”
    "Every time you remove a broken or seized bolt an angel gets his wings."

opposedtwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 968
    Topics: 259

I have had 3 or 4 of those over the years and they were all holiday bronze. I’ll try to get a pic soon.

Jeffrey Durst

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I kind of suspected that they might have come both ways originally. I wonder which color the judges would prefer to see?

davidk

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 512
    Topics: 231

Thanks for the input gentlemen. I kind of suspected that they might have come both ways originally. I wonder which color the judges would prefer to see?

Wouldn’t the white box be for the later years when the motors were also white? Seems like the holiday bronze would match your motor.

Jeffrey Durst

That kinda makes sense to me but the trim color on the ’56 is the “cream white” so I have trouble dismissing the possibility that white could have been a choice as well. But I think you’re right, the safer bet would probably be to go with the bronze. I’d love to see an advertisement photo from ’56 that includes the box in the photo.

dave-bernard

US Member - 1 Year (includes $3 online payment fee)
    Replies: 2014
    Topics: 30

cant always go by ads. they ae not always correct.

mas

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 192
    Topics: 43

What?

All this talk about a ’56 Wagemaker with a matching Javelin and no request for pics? I gotta see the new boat!

Where’s the pics?

Mas

opposedtwin

US Member - 2 Years
    Replies: 968
    Topics: 259

This is the stuff you are looking for.

AF92C875-6A8A-4E66-AB36-5B715F87224F

924A11FC-D353-4B6A-90E8-6693E5876F8D

DF1753B2-FB15-44A3-9120-7A411F73DB81

D616FC7D-240F-4DFC-B569-FB752E8A98DA

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Mumbles.

Jeffrey Durst

Thanks for the photos. At this point it seems pretty apparent that Johnson definitely made at least some of their electric boxes in the Holiday Bronze so I’m going to paint mine with the bronze. I just ordered the 1956 Holiday Bronze paint from North York Marine yesterday along with the ’56 decals. I like the two tone bronze and white control box pictured above and suspect that is also original? So many details! I’ve included a photo of the Wagemaker Seafarer and a closeup of the Johnson. Since the photo was taken of the motor I have removed the chrome pieces and had them re-plated. They are currently masked off and the embossed details have been painted. I had to cut the original rivets off to separate the side pieces from the cowling. Anybody know where I can find replacement rivets to match the originals? Although the cowling looks really nice the paint is starting to pop off in a few places so I figure while I’m at home “sheltering in place” and can’t take the boat out I might as well repaint it and the lower part of the motor.

1956 Wagemaker Seafarer

'56 Johnson Javelin 30hp

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.